Good Remote Truck Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001 | 11:36 AM
S'Crewloose - glad to hear you got it all installed

Keep us posted on your tests of the PATS with the starter - that's one of my biggest concerns. There might not be much to the PATS, but at least it's some form of theft prevention.

You will absolutely *love* the keypad. My truck came with one, and I didn't realize I needed one until this truck. This is a highly recommended mod, IMO.

For everyone else interested in DirectStart, I'm posting the e-mail response I got from 12voltshop tech support. I'm glad S'Crewloose got the right bypass kit the first time, otherwise he may have had problems with the PATS (unless the truck falls in the dates mentioned). I'm not trying to prove anything here, I just think this the kind of stuff valuable when six months from now someone searches for remote starters. Especially since 12voltshop seems to be giving conflicting info between tech and sales.

Also FYI for more reading, I think the bypass kit is may by www.transponderbypass.com.

-----------------------------------------------

From 12voltshops.com tech info e-mail:

As long as you have power door locks you can connect the lock /unlock function of the remote starter to your vehicles doorlocks. Some conditions apply, specifically if the vehicle is equipped with factory keyless entry the doorlock system is a negative trigger system and the remote starter lock/unlock wires can be connected directly. If the vehicle is equipped
with power doorlocks but not factory transmitters, the doorlock system is reverse polarity and you will need 2 additional relays to connect the remote starters lock/unlock function.

Also the remote starter does have an external trigger option which allows you to initiate the remote start up sequence via an external source such as the factory transmitter. If you elect to use this option remember that you are limited to the range of the factory transmitter. Also if you plan on using this feature, let us know when you order since the standard feature is a single pulse to initiate the starter and if you want a 3 pulse version we will have to know when you order.

One last thing, the bypass kit PKF which does not require a key is limited to specific vehicles and years. 2001 Fords can be done but the mfg date must be before July 16, 2000, check inside your door for the date.

Last edited by Screwed In NC; 10-02-2001 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2001 | 12:00 PM
The transponder @ the above listed website is the same one 12voltdirect sent me, I'll have a non-trans key cut today and check to see if it will start the truck. As far as the conflicting info on the correct transponder goes, I have the one you say is the correct one and it works....you have the email that says the other one may not.....I'd say, lets go with your info as correct....

Old 10-02-2001 | 05:11 PM
Good News.....

I stopped by the lock shop on the way home and had a non transponder key cut for my truck for test listed in above reply......the key would not start the truck

Old 10-02-2001 | 05:24 PM
Best Remote Starter

I have owned three total over the past 2 years.
First is a piece of crap Bulldog remote. Installed it was only $100, but the quality of job showed along with reliability.
Second was a viper system for about $320. Came with a mild alarm system along with the door unlocks on my 2000 Bonneville, liked the workings except my office is located about 1200 feet from the parking lot, and my remote never reached it from there. when i complained to my friend, the owner of the local electronics store, he fixed me up.
Third, is a ASTRO remote start system. Much more cleaner of installation on my 99 F150 Supercab, and guess what? it works from my office all the way to the parking lot. I can't complain at all. He installed it for me for $240, but it's definately worth getting into a warm truck in the winter or cold truck in the summer.

Just remember to place your settings for temperature before you get out of it.

My opinions

Old 10-02-2001 | 08:06 PM
A remote starter is worth every penny.

Keep in mind, if you try to use one that is controlled by the OEM keyless entry you won't benefit from the range that you would from most aftermarket remote starts.

I've probably sold and installed around 175-200 remote starts throughout the years, I also recommend trying to use a product that has been around for awhile, Like DEI products (Viper, Valet, Python etc.) or Crimestopper and Clifford as well ( DEI and Clifford have merged since last fall) I have seen too many fly by night companies products fail, and not offer the same warranty benefits to their customers, not to mention the damage that a few of them have caused to the vehicles they were installed in.

If you install (or purchase) one of the remote starts I listed above your FORD truck has a better chance of meeting its maker than your remote starter will.

Keep in mind gentlemen ( & ladies) these remote start units cost alot less than most of your "MODS" cost, somewhat little investment for all of the added convenience.

After that first cold morning you use it , you'll be lost without it.

Old 10-02-2001 | 09:33 PM
Once again, thanks S'Crewloose for filling us in

And also thanks go to HuskerF150 and msujon71 for some good reminders and pointers.

I think I've decided I can live with the range of the factory remote. Fortunately, I have enough seniority at work to have a "window seat" where I can easily reach my truck with the factory remote. More importantly, I can zap it from the back door and be greeted by a toasty interior on those cold mornings.

Based on S'Crewloose's experience, the research I've done, and other's good luck with 12voltshop.com, I think I'll give the DirectStart a try. I don't know if anyone's integrated this one with the factory keyless entry, but I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Unfortunately it will probably be about two weeks before I will be able to do the mod due to other things in the way.

Old 10-03-2001 | 01:30 PM
I have good range with my Direct Start. Sometimes it will transmit accidently from a local Pub I haunt. This is due to fidgeting in a seat with the keys in my back pocket.

Use it mostly for the door unlock function. In winter I use it to warm up my truck at 5am. In the parking garage at work I find the range very limited. I think this is due to the large amount of concrete. It does'nt get very cold in there anyway.

Just a couple of things I wanted to add to the discussion.

Old 10-03-2001 | 06:33 PM
Ok, so those who've ordered from 12volt, which model did you get?? and if you are making it work with your stock FOB, and you press the lock 3x, does the horn blow after the second click?

Old 10-03-2001 | 08:56 PM
Shark99,

That is *exactly* what I want mine to do. Maybe someone will chime in if they've done this.

Unfortunately it'll be a couple of weeks before I'll be able to install.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just wanted to let you know if no one has done this before, I will be doing it soon.

Old 10-03-2001 | 09:21 PM
Shark,

It seems to me that 12Volt will modify the remote starter box to work off the OEM FOB for you....but unless you can somehow modify the control setting in the vehicle, the remote will not work differently. So I would think the horn would still sound on the second contact then start after the third....if you could figure out how to make the modification it would be great to be able to use the third button for the starter.

Ed

BTW: guy next door saw me installing my two and he ordered two for US to put in this weekend.......

Old 10-04-2001 | 11:21 AM
If I understand it right, the starter control is using 'impulses' (from the doorlock wire) to start the truck. When you lock your doors 3x, its realizing that third pulse is its 'go' signal. So, using the panic button, most likely, wouldnt work, as you would have to 'disable' that feature from the pats....most likely by tapping into the harness, and using the horn/lights wire(s) to signal the starter.....but then your 'panic, wouldnt work....but then does that painc work by pulses? reason being, its one click to panic the pats and one click to shut it off (the panic).....So most realisticly, its looking like the 3x lock will do (neighbors may have something to say about the horn at 6am)....unless you could devise a circut, that would only trigger the horn after say 3seconds....this would allow you to have you horn work with the panic, but would disable it on the 2x lock of the FOB

Hmmm....maybe I should just order it (programmed for the stock FOB), install it an not worry about that one honk...lol....

Old 10-04-2001 | 08:43 PM
Shark

That's what I'm thinking, too. The remote starter watches the doorlock for three pulses as its signal to start.

If you're concerned about the horn on the second pulse, you could use the unlock instead. My thought about using the lock was to make sure the truck was locked while running just to keep tempted individuals out. Of course, the remote start system has safeguards built in to prevent someone from hopping in and driving off.

I also chose three pulses since there is almost, I say *almost* no chance of an accidental start.

The more I think about this mod, the more I want to get it done!

Old 10-04-2001 | 08:50 PM
Oh, I almost forgot

We also need to know what locks out the factory keyless entry system.

I know the factory system does not work with the key in the ignition and the engine running. If it works off the position of the ignition cylinder (which is what I'm guessing), then we're probably ok.

I'd hate to install this thing only to find I can't unlock my doors with the fob after remotely starting the engine.

Old 10-04-2001 | 10:14 PM
screwed,
I don't have the instructions with me right now but, I think you can set a passive lock ****ion in the remote start unit.....it has two banks of options to turn off, on or some other state. so maybe you can use the unlock button on the FOB, not worry about the horn and have the unit programed to "lock on start"...yeah, thats the ticket....yeah.....

Old 10-05-2001 | 11:02 AM
Screwed in NC

Didnt think about using the unlock...I think most of the remote starters have enough safety built in....you have to put the key in ignition and turn to run, before you touch the brake pedal....and if your a crook and jump in, whats the first thing you have to do to put an automatic in drive......stepping on the brake, would ruin all your fun...and give me more time to reach for mr 40cal glock.

I guess all I want is a unit that starts the truck with the stock fob...I dont need (or want) all those extra features...just a plain jane remote starter.

As far as the pats locking out the fob when vehical is running. Its a saftey feature (so you cant be carjacked) and that may be 'programmed' into the pats, something that would not be easily changed. Although a door keypad, does work with the vehical running (mine does)

Quick Reply: Good Remote Truck Starter?