Good Remote Truck Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001 | 11:03 PM
|
Good Remote Truck Starter?

Looking for any insite on remote starters; one's to buy, one's to stay away from. It would be nice if the starter FAB had the door lock/unlock feature. Cost is a factor.

A dealer in the neighborhood is selling a Viper for $325 installed. Other than basic's- run time, starting distance, etc... Viper has the lock/unlock on the FAB + security chip. Seems a little expensive.

How does this compare with others?

Hate to say it, but winters around the corner. And it gets frick'n freezing in Ann Arbor, Mi come January.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-12-2001 | 09:26 PM
Talking

Im in need of one of these units too....
The only difference is that I like Winter,
I want to drive my new sled

97 sx 700 Yamaha

Old 09-13-2001 | 05:28 PM
Check out the DirectStart CS124 at www.12voltshop.com This is the one I installed in my truck and the tech support was absolutely fantastic. I chose this for the door lock features first, and then the ease of ordering on-line. The price charged to you may differ than what you expect due to the fact they will include the required relays for your choice/vehicle. Good luck, ennis

Old 09-13-2001 | 09:20 PM
|
fourhour,
How hard was it to install your remote? I have little experience with electronics.

Old 09-14-2001 | 10:30 AM
It was'nt difficult at all. You will need a voltage meter for testing the wire harness located under the steering column, a small electric soldering iron and plenty of patience. The hardest part was snaking wires through the door jamb for the relays to be connected to the door lock switch. Someone here stated they connected them to the wire harness located at the left kick panel. Wish I had tried that first. Additionally, a basic electrical knowledge is a must, specifically when it comes to wiring relays for the lock/unlock function. Again, the online tech support was fantastic. ennis

Old 09-15-2001 | 09:05 PM
Watch your local Best Buy ads, had mine installed last year for around $165 total. It was less than some because it already had keyless entry.

Old 09-16-2001 | 12:34 PM
I too checked out Best Buy prior to purchasing the above mentioned Remote Start. Although the one I considered also included an alarm, the cost was appox. $350, a price I was not willing to spend due to the fact that I had previously installed a Remote Start unit in another vehicle, and removed and installed it later in another vehicle. It was that experience that I decided I was "qualified" to do it myself. Also, you will get to know the in's and out's of your truck when you remove access panels for the installation. ennis :-) : --8

Old 09-24-2001 | 11:07 PM
I checked out the unit at 12voltshop.com, (DirectStart™ Remote Car Starter w/ Two SAW Transmitters (CS423) The unit itself is $90.00 and the Transponder Bypass Kit is either $40.00 or $24.50, depending on whether you want to use a spare key in a box or a unit that doesn't require a programmed key. I'm installing a keypad on my door so it may be good to have a spare key in the truck in case of a lost key. That is if I can install the key box in a convenient location and if you can remove the key from the box without too much re-installation trouble. I called them tonight but couldn't get anyone on the phone, i'll call back tomorrow to talk about the transponder units and whether either one will work on my truck or if i'm limited to one or the other. Wouldn't mind hearing other opinions or options. Another option I would like is being able to hit a switch and remove the key while leaving the engine running.

Ed

Last edited by S'CrewLoose; 09-24-2001 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2001 | 11:13 PM
I bought one called Valet, or something from Circut City, it starts, locks, and will start every hour for 10 min, if you want it to, say if you live in a very cold environment, they also scare people especialy if you fave a flowmaster exhast.

Old 09-29-2001 | 10:51 AM
Well, I purchased two remote starters from 12Voltshop.com. the one I mentioned above and another one for $80.00 for my wifes van. I installed hers lastnight in about 2 hours, that was soldering all the heavy connections and crimp connecting the minor ones. It works great and has so many optoins for differant circumstances its almost TOO many. I only ended up using 4 wires from one of the harnesses and all of the power harness wires, which is six......as far as 12Voltshop goes: they have my vote for great initial service....I ordered it tuesday and it arrived friday..they emailed a tracking number and i tracked it from the time it left. They sent specific wire color coding/location for both of my vehicles also. I haven't tested for distance yet but am sure It will be fine for what my wife uses it for..ie: driveway/work parking lot..........I'll probably install the other in the S;Crew tomorrow.......I'll report back on that one.

Ed

Old 09-29-2001 | 01:49 PM
S'crew, Congrats on your successful install! Two hours? Damn, I spent that much time fishing wires through he kick panel into the door! I too had a positive experience with 12volt shop including them providing vehicle specific wiring diagrams and technical assistance. Good luck on the SCREW installation. Today's weather is perfect for it. ennis :-) : --8

Old 09-30-2001 | 10:12 PM
Keep us posted on the install

A remote starter is in my near future. I'm looking for one that will work with the factory keyless entry system. Not so certain the DirectStart units will.

Old 09-30-2001 | 10:28 PM
Screwed In NC,

Below are the specs from 12voltshop.com, I am using the second bypass kit because I thought I may as well have a key in the truck. After I install the door keypad, I'll be able to open the door and have a spare if I lose my keys.

The bypass kit contains a black box with some electronics in it and a place for the key, it is then connected remotely with wires to the main box, a power source, and a coil around the ignition switch.

Im not sure how long it is taking me to install the unit in my truck, I can't seem to get 2 hours in a row this weekend to get anything done but i'm figuring about 8 hours total.

DirectStart™ Remote Car Starter w/ Two SAW Transmitters (CS423) US$90.00 Regular Price: US$169.99 (47% OFF)

Ford Transponder Bypass
PKF is designed to temporarily bypass the Ford PATS passive anti theft systems when remote starting. $40.00

Transponder Bypass Kit w/ Keysense (HTBK#2)
This 2nd Generation "Transponder II Bypass Kit" temporarily bypasses all Transponder based factory security systems (KEY IS REQUIRED) when remote car starting. $24.50

Old 10-01-2001 | 11:02 PM
Hey thanks for the info, S'CrewLoose

I also sent e-mail to 12voltshop and they responded earlier today.

From their e-mail, looks like the bypass kit with key is the only kit that will work on 2001 model built after June or July (can't remember which) in 2000. Looks like I'll be using the same kit as you.

Also, the next good news is that you can use the factory keyless entry system to activate the remote starter. They have an external trigger option that will activate the starter. I'm thinking they can set up to monitor something like the door lock output from the factory keyless entry system and trigger a start from there. They said the usual setup is one pulse from external source to start - not an option. I have somewhat of a habit of hitting the lock button twice to get the horn to confirm door lock, so I'm thinking three pulses of the door lock to start. The guy at 12voltshop said just tell 'em I want three pulses when I order!

Looks like this could be a contender for my kit as well.

Old 10-02-2001 | 09:03 AM
Screwed,

We have gotten conflicting information from 12volt, I understood that either Transponder would work and actually the woman tried to talk me into the keyless one. oh well, I like having the key on board anyway, now if my door handle and keypad would just arrive . Wonder if you could use the panic button for the remote start trigger, I never us that anyway...well except when I come real late at night and don't want to wake anyone....thats the time I usually hit it by mistake

I finished the install yesterday afternoon, I guess it took me all of eight hours. I took it slow and soldered all connections, found the perfect spot for the underhood plunger switch and what I believe is an easier spot to pick up the tach wire. I did have a question about the transponder being active whenever the the key is not in the ignition, I'll be testing this today. If this is the case then any cut key or popping the ignition switch will allow starting the truck, if so I'll connect the ground from the transponder to be active only when the remote starter is activated. I got this thought as I was checking my grounds and heard the relay inside clicking on and off.

One more thing, I walked 2 long blocks from the house and started the truck, I will be able to start it from anywhere there is a window in work......

Last edited by S'CrewLoose; 10-02-2001 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Good Remote Truck Starter?