Best Buy alarm systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best Buy alarm systems

Has anyone ever had an alarm/remote start system installed at best buy. I was there a couple of days ago and they had some pretty good prices on their systems. They had vipers and an AX brand.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:43 PM
as long as they give you a 1 year warranty, I say try them. They do got good alarm systems

Old 06-23-2005, 10:53 PM
No offense to any Best Buy employees, but I wouldn't let those guys install a car freshener in my truck! I have heard nothing but horror stories about those hacks. Just ask any custom audio establishment in your area, and I guarantee that they have had to fix something that those guys have jacked up. If I were you, I would go to http://www.directed.com/ and find an alarm that suits you, then find it on eBay and take it to either a custom audio & alarm shop or even Circuit City(they are certified by Directed) for an install. You will not only save yourself a lot of money, but they will install it the right way and you should be problem free.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:57 PM
I Agree /\ /\ /\

Old 06-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Old 06-24-2005, 12:44 AM
My roomate from college worked for a Best Buy in Des Moines for two years and his buddy worked there also, they both installed my Viper 791XV this past fall and I have not had an issue.

Old 06-24-2005, 01:15 AM
Lord, I hate to pile on any company, but yeah like Austinite said, I wouldn’t let them install an air freshener.
My sister had them put a Sony MP3 deck in her Cherokee. They charged her for two things that they didn't install, and an antenna extension which they put in, but she did not need. They wrapped the excess in a bundle, which they taped to the head unit... Without the extension there was excess room.

They said they installed, a filter ballast, They didn't.

I pulled it out for her when she was selling the Jeep, and put her old one back. I had the receipt in front of me and was actively looking for the things they said they had installed. She took the receipt back and asked for her money back for the items they didn't use. They gave it to her, no argument.
Charge the dumb woman syndrome.
Maybe some of them are OK, but I would trust a little back street shop more.
Or just do it your self.
Chris

Old 06-24-2005, 01:51 AM
Just thought of one of the funniest install stories from Best Buy. Back around 1993-94, when I was at Lake Travis High School in Austin, Texas, my two friends, who are twins, E & D had to share a pretty sweet red Porsche 944

They decided to take it to Best Buy and have them install a Blaupunkt head unit and some speakers. Well, 2 days & $600 later, they had the 944 back. About 2 months later, I was riding with D into town and we went over a speed bump a little too fast and all of the sudden the Blaupunkt just fell out of the dash and onto the shifter. Not only did it crack the lcd, but you will never guess what they had used as some sort of "mounting technique"! A wadded up pair of some tighty-whities with some duck tape wrapped around the back of the head unit. I almost fell out of the car I was laughing so hard!

Old 06-24-2005, 02:06 AM
OMC
if you do let them do it. I would stand right behind them the whole time watching every move they make. I would do it yourself just in case you have problems down the road you know how its wired in and how to fix it. then you don't have to take it back to who ever put it in for you. Best buy has the worst return policy.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:15 AM
I think its a case by case basis. I have had things installed at Best Buy where they do an amazing job, and I have had things installed at a reputable professional install shop, and a 5-year old could have done better.

Just do your research in your area and you will find what works for you.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info, sounds like best buy is out.

Old 06-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Best buy does good work, at SOME locations. These stories here would have the corporate office freaking out... Just make sure your installer has a MECP certification. Preferrably GOLD if they are doing alarms and remote starts. This way if the installer follows what they are taught, you shouldn't have any issues.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:05 AM
An old buddy of mine used to work at a the install bay in Best Buy. He used to do work for me on the side, and did a fine job. However, the rest of the shop was not so good. They are generally good at doing the easy jobs (i.e. installing a head unit), but I wouldn't trust them with much more. I would definitely take it to Circuit City over Best Buy. They are much better in most cases.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:47 PM
If I were you, I would go to http://www.directed.com/ and find an alarm that suits you, then find it on eBay and take it to either a custom audio & alarm shop or even Circuit City(they are certified by Directed) for an install. You will not only save yourself a lot of money, but they will install it the right way and you should be problem free.
If this is the route you take make sure that you call around before and ask the shops around you if they accept and install car alarms not purchased through them. I bought mine through ebay because you could get it so much cheaper, but then I ended up having to install it on my own... still don't have the remote start working...

Just wanted to warn you.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by 01FBomb
If this is the route you take make sure that you call around before and ask the shops around you if they accept and install car alarms not purchased through them. I bought mine through ebay because you could get it so much cheaper, but then I ended up having to install it on my own... still don't have the remote start working...

Just wanted to warn you.

I ran into the same thing. I bought a code alarm on ebay but can't find anyone to install it. And, I really don't want to it myself.

Quick Reply: Best Buy alarm systems