Paintless dent removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paintless dent removal?

I was parked at a movie theater & some bon of a sitch dinged my door on my '02 passenger side door. He caught it dead in the middle of the door skin. Its about the size of a silver dollar. No paint damage, thank God. What is a typical price for a paintless dent removal company to remove a dent this size?

thanks for the info.

Ron

Old 01-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Without going into a big tirade, don't do paintless dent removal. Paint is not flexible, it may look fine but there are thousands of little micro-breaks when the paint gets bent. Give it about 3-5 years, that paint is going to bubble like a **** and chances are you'll get rust very shortly after that.

I know this from experience - had a horrendous hail storm here about 6 or 7 years ago and my old Daytona was massacred by hail. About one day after the storm the dent gypsies moved in. What are dent gypsies? They literally travel the country and set up in towns that have recently been hit by bad hail storms. They put up huge neon signs that say "PAINTLESS DENT REPAIR" and the poor locals who don't know any better go there and get their hail damage "fixed."

My dad (a reputable body shop owner who turned away about 10 different gypsies who wanted to set up in his shop for a share of the profit) said from the start that it was bogus - the repair work would fail in a few years but by then the gypsies would be long gone - chasing the next hail storm. He decided to test the theory on my Daytona. My car not being in great shape anyway, I agreed and we took it to one of the gypsies. I got it back in a day and wow, it looked great! No dents and the price was a lot cheaper than a re-paint.

Needless to say about 4 years later everwhere there was a dent (and I knew exactly where those dents were) the paint is bubbling and there is rust underneath. Looks like total crap.

So please, anyone who cares about their truck - take it from someone who experienced it first hand - paintless dent repair is a TOTAL RIP OFF. You'll regret it, and only be spending more money in the long run to get it done right.

Old 01-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up. But what kinda money are we talking going to a body shop? Serious bucks, Im sure.

Old 01-27-2004, 07:25 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the dent damaged the paint in the first place, then the problem will occur regardless of if it is pulled back now or not. IMHO, I'd rather have it looking good for the next few years and not have the dent.

I have never had it done, but I have heard about $50 for the first dent and $15 for each additional dent per vehicle from the mobile people.

Old 01-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by APT
If the dent damaged the paint in the first place, then the problem will occur regardless of if it is pulled back now or not. IMHO, I'd rather have it looking good for the next few years and not have the dent.

I have never had it done, but I have heard about $50 for the first dent and $15 for each additional dent per vehicle from the mobile people.
I agree. Im getting it popped out. It is really bothering me to look at it.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 01-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by APT

I think you miss an important point - you're not going to be facing just some bubbling paint in a few years, you're going to be facing bubbling paint and rust - the two will occur almost at the same time. In other words, you're spending money now to do something that's just going to cost you even more to fix in the future.

Anyway, I tried my best to give a warning on this (with a totally true example) but ultimately it's your decision

Old 01-27-2004, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the info. I don't really think I'll have my truck long enough to see the effects on the paint. In three more years I'll be buying a '07 or '08 KR. I always say I can't wait to pay off my vehicles. Ussually, I got the next one picked out before the last payment is made.

Thanks again,
Ron

Quick Reply: Paintless dent removal?