Slick Running Boards

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001 | 08:35 PM
|
Question Slick Running Boards

I have the Ford solid plastic running boards on my rig and was wondering if someone could help me with a small problem.

When they get wet, they get a little slick. I use my my boards to help put my 9 month old son and 2 1/2 yr old daughter into the rear of the rig, and a slip could be very dangerous to my kids.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to make the boards more "grip worthy". I looked at the tubular style, but a friend of mine pointed out, that as my children get older and use the step bars themselves, a slip with their little feet could cause a broken leg or worse. For this reason, the boards I have with a solid back are safer in that aspect.

Any idea's would be appreciated.

Thanks,
AZ

------------------
white w/harvest gold trim,2001 supercrew 4x4,5.4, w/duraliner and magnaflow exhaust, superchip.
Next: K&N FIPK

Old 02-11-2001 | 12:19 AM
Goto a local skateboard shop and purchase some of the black non-skid tape, like the kind that you put on top of skate boards. I think it come in 8 to 10 inche wide peices, not sure about the length.

Old 02-11-2001 | 01:26 AM
I've been thinking of coating the step pads on my bars with Herculiner (if theres any left over after doing the bed.) I've heard the stuff is very grippy from the rubber particles in it. Safety isn't my main concern, I just don't like the big lettering on them. I wanted to do it this weekend but the weather turned nasty Friday afternoon. If I get to it this week I'll post the results.

------------------
Stock Stuff:
Y2K SCab 4X4, Chesnut Metallic, 5.4L, 3.55 Limited Slip, Skid Plates, Factory AM/FM/CD, 40/60 Split Bench, Sliding Rear Window, Towing Package and Keyless Entry.

Extras so far:
  • GY 305/70X16 Wrangler ATS Tires
  • American Eagle Series 146 Chrome Wheels
  • Ravin Z-55 3" Single In/Out Exhaust System
  • WMS Velocity Tube
  • K&N Filter
  • Genuine Steel Products Pro Steps
  • Blaupunkt Houston CD Player
  • Blaupunkt PCxt573 5x7/6x8 Speakers
  • Pioneer TS-A6815 6x8 Speakers
  • Clear Corner Lenses
  • PIAA Super White Bulbs
  • GTS Hood Deflector
  • Catch-All Floor Mats
  • Tinted Windows
  • Bull Ring Retractable Tie-Downs
  • University of Georgia Hitch Cover GO DAWGS!
  • The "REAL" GA State Flag on the front bumper [><] "Keep It Flyin!"
Coming Soon:
  • Clear Tail Lights (NOT Altezza! Yack!)
  • Herculiner

Pictures:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...3401&a=8556922

Old 02-11-2001 | 11:19 AM
Yes, I would recommend any type of bedliner. My Dad had his done the same time they sprayed the bed. In my opinion it looks much better and grips much better than just the smooth plastic. I think they charge about $50 to do both steps, and that's not all that bad. I hope this helps.

Old 02-11-2001 | 04:29 PM
|
Cool

Thanks for the responses. I thought about the grip tape, but wasn't sure how well it would stick to the plastic. If some of you have done it already, then it's worth a try.
I was also wondering if there was a spray on, or paint on type grip stuff. I remembering seeing something for bathtubs and showers sometime ago, but I can't remeber how it worked. Anyone else know what i'm talking about?

Thanks again for the info,,any other ideas will be examined too. The Herculiner sounded good, but I don't want to spend $100.00 for running board application.

Buckliner, I just re-read your post, and i'll call a spray bedliner dealer to see how much they will charge. If it's $50.00, I'll do it.

Az

[This message has been edited by az2528 (edited 02-11-2001).]

Old 02-12-2001 | 12:45 AM
I bought mine from the Hardware store. It was simple no slip tape about 3-4 inches wide

Not very expensive at all. I used it on my tube nerf bars.
(just like Nitrox did)

------------------
Y2K F150 4x4 XL Med Torredor Red
4.2 5 speed,AIRAID, SuperCHIP,
3.55 LS, Leer camper shell, bedrug,
Ranchhand Rover Brushguard with 6 LIGHTS and
Wireless remote switch Tint/alarm/ aftermarket keyless entry/locks
2m/10m/11m/12m radios, Scanner
LT285/75/16 BFG All Terrains
regulator@f150driver.com

Quick Reply: Slick Running Boards