Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Lights

I recently subjected my truck to some nasty red mud while hunting this past weekend. Usually don't drive it, but got drunk and went mud slinging!

I've spent two days so far pressure washing, cleaning, and getting everything back to normal.

My only problem is, at some point in time alot of water and mud got into my factory fog light and completely shattered the bulb. Replacing the bulb is no problem. But I want to clean out the water and mud from inside the fog light housing. After unbolting and removing the entire fog light assembly, I can't figure out how to remove the lense. It has three plastic clips on it, that I thought was holding it. But it still will not budge.

Any Ideas?

2004 4X4 Heritage
3" body w/ 315/75R16 MTR's

SilverNCSU

Old 12-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are three smaller bolts on the top of the housing mount... Remove those three and it'll come off.

RP

Old 12-06-2004, 11:20 PM
I actually have it off the truck and off the metal mounting bracket. What I'm trying to do is get the lense off the light housing to 1). get all the mud out 2). get the glass out from previous bulbs shattering 3). just to basically clean it back to normal and 4). seal it up so this will not continue happening.

I may have found a solution. I found someone selling the entire assembly on Ebay for $60. I figured that's way cheaper than the dealership.

Thanks,
SilverNCSU

Old 12-07-2004, 12:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the lens is not removablee because it is sealed on. The only way I can think of to clean your assembly is to take the whole thing off as you have, remove the bulb, then use soap and water with a good shake to clean the inside. Don't use a brush because you'll probably scratch the reflector. I might also suggest trying dishwasher soap as the final cleaner because some of them allow for a spot free rinsed surface. (That will be important on the reflector. Use a blow drier to dry the assembly out. This will take some patience. Of course you could just buy a new assembly off of e-bay too! Good luck!

Old 12-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Do as 2stroked suggested, but do your final rinse with distilled water. It won't leave spots. Then just make sure it's good and dry before reinstalling...

Old 12-08-2004, 01:33 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry for the misunderstanding on the assembly.

Closer9 and 2stroked are correct though. The lens is sealed in place and thus, is not meant to be removed (although I'm sure one could pull it off if you wanted to bad enough).

I cleaned mine out several times because of a very small leak that I had on occasion. In short, I'd take it off and remove the bulb. I'd then take a paper towel on a stick and swab around inside the interior of the housing to remove the moisture. I think that washing it with dish soap or similar would work fine but, the distilled rinse is an excellent idea.

I accelerated drying time with the towel on a stick trick and also a hair dryer.

Following remounting and replacement of the bulb, I added silicone sealant on the outter edge of where the bulb is placed to ensure a water tight seal.

RP

Quick Reply: Fog Lights