spare tire and anti theft key blues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy spare tire and anti theft key blues

Ok, can anybody help me with this problem? I got an '02 used and a few months ago I got a flat. I try to lower the spare tire but couldn't. I get the instructions and it says to attach a security key to the end blah blah blah. Well guess what, I don't have it. so, I have one ordered for $40. The new one doesn't fit the old one and came with a replacement female part that matches the key. HOW THE HELL DO I GET THE SPARE DOWN TO CHANGE IT IF I DON'T HAVE THE KEY?! What drives me crazy about this is my wheels, stock chrome, have regular lug nuts but the crappy spare has a lock. Seriously though, any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg

Old 04-10-2006, 10:39 PM
Im not trying to be rude, but are you sure your doing it right? the key on the spare has nothing to do with the lug nut. it goes on the end of the stick that you put through the hole above the license plate and into the spare tire raise/lower mechanism. its just so that not just anyone can walk up and drop your spare. dont laugh because they lock your spare but not your other four, the second most common auto part stolen is spare tires, the first is tailgates. which is why ford comes stock with locking tailgates. I hope I havent offended you. just wanna make sure your trying to used it right.

Mike

Old 04-11-2006, 01:08 AM
I had the same problem. My 2003 supercab didn't come with the spare tire key. I was able to lower my spare tire using a 6 sided 9/16 socket and 3 socket extensions. All half inch drive. I used two ten inch, and a six inch extension together to get the proper length. Connect socket. Twist out the plastic tube that leads to the spare tire lock. I removed the plastic ring protecting the hole in the bumper, and the license plate so I could see better. I used a torch to warm the socket so it would fit over the lock easier. Pound the socket onto the lock. Let the socket cool for a few minutes. Creates a better grip. Then using a ratchet, slowly turn counter-clock wise. Should lower the tire.

If you raise the winch cable without a tire, always keep tension on the cable or it will bind up inside the winch. Remove the two bolts that attach the tire winch. Pull out the winch. The lock is held in place by friction. A vise grip and a few taps with a hammer will remove it. Replace the winch and two bolts. Now you can lower your spare without a key. This was my first post, new to the forum. I hope I was able to help.

Kyle

Last edited by mnhonker; 04-06-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks Trashcan but I know.

The key shape of the new one doesn't match the old one, that's the problem.

mnhonker, thanks for the info. I know you feel my pain. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Thanks again,
Greg

Old 04-20-2006, 09:35 AM
MNHonker had it right. My key took a 5/8 socket instead of a 9/16. I still had trouble getting the socket around the old key so I used a dremel to round out the outer edge of the socket, just enough for the key to start in. I heated it up and it went right over the old key. I was then able to lower the spare and change the antitheft key.

Thanks MNHonker!
Greg

Quick Reply: spare tire and anti theft key blues