Rear window leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear window leaking

My '98 has suddenly developed a leak on the passenger side rear window right next to the center slider. It leakes from the headliner area. Anyone have any ideas? Not sure if I should remove the headliner to look for the leak or use some silicone around the windows on the outside. No change made at all and slider shuts fine.

Was not sure where to post this issue.

Old 10-27-2006, 11:03 PM
It could be your weather stripping. Most likely getting in through the top of the surround piece. When you go to your truck and feel the top of the trim around the window you will easilly be able to tell water can very easilly get through the crack and leak

Old 10-28-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks, I'll try to take a better look at it this weekend but so far I have not seen anything incriminating looking.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:09 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 10-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks RockPick.

I had no idea of the horrific magnitude of this issue.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:10 PM
What you're describing is a common problem in the 97 and up F-150. If you have a slider, it'll have to be replaced by a qualified glass shop. It's not recommended that you attempt to pull and reset a slider of this model as the glass and frame will seperate during extraction and the frame can crack. If you have a solid backglass, you can have it pulled and reset. I'm a professional autoglass tech and I deal with this almost everyday. I had the same thing happen on my 98. By the way, don't use silicone on automotive glass, it can do more harm than good. Feel free to ask me any glass questions you have including how to take it apart.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaptFubar
What you're describing is a common problem in the 97 and up F-150. If you have a slider, it'll have to be replaced by a qualified glass shop. It's not recommended that you attempt to pull and reset a slider of this model as the glass and frame will seperate during extraction and the frame can crack. If you have a solid backglass, you can have it pulled and reset. I'm a professional autoglass tech and I deal with this almost everyday. I had the same thing happen on my 98. By the way, don't use silicone on automotive glass, it can do more harm than good. Feel free to ask me any glass questions you have including how to take it apart.
I agree, from another professional autoglass tech....

Quick Reply: Rear window leaking