Front license plate dilemma, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front license plate dilemma, HELP!!

I purchased my 04' Lariat back in Nov 04', brand new. I'm pretty picky about my truck and I hated the crud build-up under that front lic plate/holder. So, after about a month I took it off, well, I cut it off, it didn't want to come off nicely. Anyway, here in the lovely State of Utah, it is required to have a front plate, some do, some don't, I didn't and I got nabbed finally, 4yrs later. Now I need to install a plate back on the front of my truck. Any ideas out there? Any pictures from anyone in the same boat?? Any good modified lic. plate holders that anyone knows of? the factory I had is toast, don't really want to put any holes in my truck, bumper or body, HELP!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Suspended
this would get more responses in a different section

Old 03-26-2008, 03:47 PM
I bought mine used, no valance, needed a new bumper, no front LP (obviously). When I got a new bumper and valance, there was no bracket for the LP. 2 years later, I am finally going this afternoon to pick up a new bracket (I got stopped for it about 5 months ago...).

However, in the parking lot, I have seen a lot of people use any of the following:

-put it in your dash

-get the suction cup set and put it in the upper right of the windshield

-(this is what I do)-- use 2 baby bungees and strap it to the right visor. If a cop stops you, you can always flip it down and use the excuse that you were cleaning your windshield and forgot to put the visor back down. (then in 10 minutes you can put it back up where it will remain most of the time.)

-Get a new bracket from FoMoCo (Stealerships have them for around $17.00)

Old 03-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Tape it on there and have it signed off, then take it off again?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by roushstage2
Tape it on there and have it signed off, then take it off again?
??? I think he means for Police. If they see you without one, they have every right to stop you (and sometimes this is how they catch felons-- something stupid like LPs, they run a DL check, then they nab you...)

Old 03-26-2008, 06:11 PM

is no front plate a preliminary reason to pull you over, or is that just a secondary offense.
can they pull you over just for not having a front plate??????

Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 PM
To the OP, i would suggest put it on your dash, if not your front seat. That's where my dad has it on his vette since he didn't want to take out the plate infront. What one of our cop buddies told us is, if you have it in your front seat and you get pulled over just say "Oh i just got new plates and haven't had time to put the front one on". Don't know if it works or not seeing how he nor I have ever been pulled over. Usually the cops will let you go unless there's some strict cop trying to meet his quota.

If all else fails you can do what one of my friends did and zip tie it to the front bumper LOL.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Got mine from LMC Truck Parts.. www.lmctruck.com

It was like eh 20 bux or so but i went and picked it up

Old 03-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd move before I put a front LP on my truck. The big bulky one on mine was huge and ugly and I hated it. What the heck is the sense of a front LP other than the $$$? None...

Old 03-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
??? I think he means for Police. If they see you without one, they have every right to stop you (and sometimes this is how they catch felons-- something stupid like LPs, they run a DL check, then they nab you...)
Assuming he got a fix it ticket for it, just tape it on and have it signed off. Each state is different though, of course. Not sure of the specifics.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:29 AM
Just go to court and tell the judge, you know the state can save alot of money if we didn't make plates to put on the front of of vehicles. Do motorcycles have to have plates on the front? I have never seen one.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:28 PM
i live in ny, and haven't had a front plate for 3+ years now... and they're hardasses here

Old 03-28-2008, 12:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just used 3M Double sided tape for a front plate. Its really strong and works fine so far.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:32 PM
a little different...

This is a little different; i got this idea from a Honda S2000 @ a car show I was at.

Sorry about the flash.

Anyway, I really like my setup, I think it makes the front end alot cleaner. Plus I talked to one of the Police Officers that comes into the Garage I work at, and he said that as long as it's visible from the front of the truck it's legal. Which makes since, you always see people with it in their dashboards, and that can't even be safe! The only problems are: When you install it, be sure the bolts are as short as possible, so when it's up, they don't rip your headliner; And if you have a frame around the plate, it's going to rattle like mad.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
up here in mass state police will pull you over for that... but half there cruisers dont even have inspection stickers lol. lmc truck has brackets ?? thats good to know.

Quick Reply: Front license plate dilemma, HELP!!