PIAA fog lights legal??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PIAA fog lights legal??

tonite i got two tickets for using my piaa 520 fog lights, i though that they were DOT approved therefor street legal. the cop had no idea what she was talking about, she said they were blinding and distracting. ( i have been infront of my friends truck with the same lights, they really are not) they are 55w H3 bulbs and are aimed lower then my stock headlights (the way fogs are supposed to be). She continued to explain to me that they are more blinding than a set of HIDs, this is where i lost it.. i know they are no where near that bright (they are halogen), i totally agree with her about HIDs being blinding, i have had my share of people running HIDs behind me, which is where the two sets of 85w back up lights come in (i can light up the inside of a car behind me enough to damn near see out there back window). ok enough of me yelling about HIDs. anyone else ever have any trouble with a set of these fogs?? are they actually legal ??

Last edited by KDracing; 04-13-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:56 AM
sounds like a BS ticket to me. i would fight it

Old 04-13-2009, 02:08 AM
thats what i was thinking, but not really sure how. i guess if i had proof that they are DOT apporved it would prove the cop had no idea what she was talking about,(that will probably take care of "unapproved equipment" ticket then i am only down to unsafe driving (which was written because the PIAAs distract traffic, not sure how to fight that one)

Old 04-13-2009, 02:09 AM
aahhh man gotta love jersey, i need to move. NOW!!!!!

Old 04-13-2009, 02:18 AM
lol. i have HIDs and Fogs behind my grille and never had a problem with them. i got pulled over a couple months ago and the cop didnt even mention my tinted tails either.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

what i hate are the mini 1970s mini vans and trucks with HID lights...esp. when they don't re aim their lights they are ruining HIDs for everyone who knows how to use them correctly....I have HIDs in my headlights...but mine are aimed so low that no one gets blinded. i've even tested them out with friends and they said they're less blinding than factory HIDs

Old 04-13-2009, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by blackf150337
what i hate are the mini 1970s mini vans and trucks with HID lights...esp. when they don't re aim their lights they are ruining HIDs for everyone who knows how to use them correctly....I have HIDs in my headlights...but mine are aimed so low that no one gets blinded. i've even tested them out with friends and they said they're less blinding than factory HIDs
ok HIDs are not what bother me in general, it's the ones that aren't aimed at all and blind you so much that you can barely see out the windshield, besides the point my 55w PIAAs are not any where near an HID style light

Old 04-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Were you running headlights and factory fogs? If so that is illegal. Not too sure on the DOT thing, most (read not all) of those lights are for offroad use only.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Depends on your local laws. I've heard of laws that state that you can only have "4" forward facing lights on at a given time, and high beams count as 2 lights. It's my understanding that is part of the reason why factory fog lights automatically turn off when High-Beams are activated.

I usually don't turn on my 525s unless I'm on some really dark, backwoods road.

- NCSU

Old 04-13-2009, 10:37 AM
i had my factory headlights and the PIAAs on which was a total of 4 lights, regardless i have kinda lost respect for cops now. i thought that they were a little more reasonable then this. i still find it hard to believe that they were that "blinding" tonite i am going to have someone drive my truck behind me and coming at me while im driving moms explorer, we will see how blinding they actually are, i know they are not HIDs they have stock bulbs.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Fight it.

I'm a recent transplant to MD from NJ. I am not a lawyer (and don't consider any of this information to be from a lawyer , but when I was considering my lift options, I spent a good amount of time reading the motor vehicle statutes in NJ.

NJ legislature web site is http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/. From there you can get into the current statutes. Motor vehicle statutes are title 39.

39:3-51. Auxiliary driving lamps

Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than twelve inches nor more than forty-two inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands, and every such auxiliary driving lamp or lamps shall be so aimed and used that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam will be directed to the left of the prolongation of the extreme left side of the vehicle nor more than one hundred feet ahead of the vehicle.

39:3-56. Number of driving lamps required or permitted

At the times when lighted lamps are required, at least 2 lighted driving lamps shall be displayed, an equal number on each side of the front of every motor vehicle other than a motor cycle and other than a motor-drawn vehicle except when such vehicle is parked subject to the provisions governing lights on parked vehicles or is flashing vehicular traffic hazard warning signals as provided for in sections 39:3-54 and 39:3-64. Whenever a motor vehicle equipped with headlamps as in this article required is also equipped with auxiliary lamps or a spot lamp or any other lamp on the front thereof projecting a beam of an intensity greater than 300 candlepower, not more than a total of 4 of any such lamps on the front of a vehicle shall be lighted at any one time when upon a highway.
Those are the two requirements that I can find... you may want to search for others.

Fight the ticket. The officer's first ticket gets thrown out with the evidence of the DOT# and the DOT's recognition it's approved. The second ticket gets thrown out on the merits that the first ticket is false, and based on the fact the officer probably did not measure your beam distance under the statute (did she?).

You can also mention that you performed a measurement to ensure you met the statutes (of course you should do this, but don't tell them if you made any adjustments unless they ask).

Don't lie in court, just tell it like it is. Bring all the documented evidence you can find (i.e. motor vehicle statutes, DOT approvals, etc)

Good luck.. it can be done, just be prepared and answer truthfully. I've done it, so I know it can be done. If you can get out of the trial and plea w/ the prosecutor down to a $50 fine or something, I would probably take it and just get it out of the way. New Jersey uses tickets to increase revenue, so they may just be trying to get some money out of you.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ever notice how on the PIAA box it says "For offroad use only"?

There's your answer

Quick Reply: PIAA fog lights legal??