Great Do It Yourself GAS CAP HOLDER!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2000, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Great Do It Yourself GAS CAP HOLDER!

O.K. take a aluminum wire 8 inches long. { about the width of a coat hanger}.. Bend the wire around the outer rim of the cap to form a nice circle.. Next bend each end down 90 degree's...Next on the back side {interior of cover} you will see a brace running lenghtwise acroos the cover. Push bent wire ends behind the brace.{ there is a nice gap }... Adjust by openning and closing door and placing cap in wire loop...Next mark position remove wire. Put clear silicone on each end and reinstall using mark's...WoW! so much better>>> I used a aluminum wire stake that holds down garden weed bed mats.. a coat hanger also works. CAPT.

------------------
Capt. America..,
1998 f-150 XLTSC...2WD.. . 3.55LS rear...auto E40D... 5.4L...Stepside... Ground effects... Billet Pedals... Billet Grill... Billet Brake lite... Oval Mirror... Bed rails... Bug Deflector... Wood Grain Kit...Fog lites... TPS...Air Box... K&N... ss Ford tag.,.Tinted Windows... overhead/floor consoles... Mood lights...Blue bulbs... Alarm...Radar...Dashmat... Fire/Ice rear window tint ...conspicuity reflectors... cd changer...mobil 1... Painted rear Drums... Helwing Sway Bar... Dual Exhaust... Halogen Back-up bulbs... clear corner lens...
Tail lens covers... Leather...Floor Mats... Seat covers...Tow Pkge...
Side window Louvers... Painted Brake calipers... Custom Captian America Paint Job...dual LED brake lights...Rain guards... Painted throttle body cover...sliding rear window...Soon 4.10 gears!!

Old 02-08-2000, 12:36 AM
Capt,

Doesn't your truck have a tether?

------------------

97 F150 Lariat 4X4 Ext. Cab. 5.4, AT, Tow Pkg, bedliner, white/grey 2tone w/ grey leather, Fact. CD changer, Gibson Side Swept, K&N, Bosch Platinum +4's,Michelin LTX 265/70 16, S/D Triton V8 emblems, Both doors cracked, Piston slap quieted by Mobile One & Slick 50 Synthetic.

Old 02-08-2000, 05:52 AM
Sure it has a tether. During fill-ups cap hung on side of truck or I had to put nozzle in first while holding cap then lay tether across nozzle....ect..ect.. I left cap and tether just as It came from factory but now I just unscrew the cap set on holder and filler-up..Lifes great at the pump now... If you like yours the way it is by all means don't change a thing. It was just a little thing that bothered me every time I filled up. Left the tether on so I wouldn't forget cap.. Try it you.ll like it. CAPT.

Old 02-08-2000, 04:04 PM
Capt: Thanks for the great idea...this has been bugging me too. May last two cars (Maxima and Legend) both had gas cap holders. The factory strap jsut keeps one from leaving the cap behind at the station but doesn't do anything to keep the cap away from the nender.
Thanks again...your description and instructions are perfect.

Old 02-09-2000, 10:14 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks Capt.,
I wa so mad when I found scratches, where the cap hangs, my sisters Mazda(ford vehicle has one) thought about getting cover from dealer and applying it to mine, but your idea is much better.

------------------
Gino Tedesco, '99 XLT 5.4l, SUPERCHIPPED, 3" Gibson catback exhaust,4x4 S/C Flareside D.wedge bl/Dk.graph, factory sidesteps & Tonneau cover, Manik grlgaurd w/Piaa lights, 305/70-16 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires

Old 02-10-2000, 12:02 AM
I guess necessity is the mother of invention!

Thanks Cap'n

------------------
'99 Black F-150 Sport
Extended Cab
4.6 Romeo Triton
3.55 Rear-end,Tow Package,
MODS: Black low- profile bug deflector, K&N Air Filter

Wife's wheels: '91 Green Ranger XLT 3.0L
http://hometown.aol.com\riadan1

Old 11-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Thumbs up '06 fuel filler lid has nub on swingarm to 'hang' cap tether.

I found this discussion because I was looking for a gas cap holder for the inside of my fuel filler door. I was prepared to go Capt. America's route, armature allowing, but then I saw the filler door on my '06 wasn't like the one he described. Also, the thread design to my fuel cap doesn't have flanges that could help it rest in a support brace.

So I thought, 'okay, I'll just find a small plastic hook at Home Depot to adhere/modify to the inside of the filler door, and use that to catch the cap's tether'. I was gassing up enroute to Home Depot and eyeballing any modification placement when I noticed a tiny nub on the upper side of the filler lid's swingarm. I'll be damned, Ford actually DID provide something.

Hung the tether on it and the cap rested nicely against the filler lid instead of the side of the bed. I've never seen something so simple like that before, and its easy to overlook, depending where you're standing and your angle of sight it can kind of blend in to the swingarm. Or I'm an idiot. You?

Last edited by Clinto; 11-10-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Req
Clinto

Crimanney, what this site won't produce in the way of good ideas. I read your post Clinto, went to my garage and looked at my gas cap door. Sure enough there was a small nylon/plastic hook there approx 1½" from the gas cap tether anchor. Hung tether on hook and the gas cap dangled approx 3" away from Styleside paint. Con Mucho Gusto.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:22 AM
pics please.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '05 has a little plastic nub that you can hand the tether on. It is on the top middle of the gas cap arm.

Here are some pics:

Last edited by BlueFlareside; 11-11-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by BlueFlareside
My '05 has a little plastic nub that you can hand the tether on. It is on the top middle of the gas cap arm.

Here are some pics:

are you serious? I dont think i have ever noticed that on my truck . I have always had to place it down gently so it doesnt bang against the paint. I have an 04 tho. Ill have to go check that out. im dumb

Old 11-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KiCk *** FX4
are you serious? I dont think i have ever noticed that on my truck . I have always had to place it down gently so it doesnt bang against the paint. I have an 04 tho. Ill have to go check that out. im dumb
Don't feel too bad. I didn't notice it until I had the truck for almost a year. I beat myself up, too. I am an engineer and pride myself on noticing the littlest details.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Suspended
I hook the gas cap on the hook, not wrap the tether on it.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 PM
LOL you guys are a riot. I noticed that the first time i filled up

Quick Reply: Great Do It Yourself GAS CAP HOLDER!