Painting chrome

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Painting chrome

I wonder if anyone can point me to a how to thread, or explain the proper process of painting chrome. I am speaking mainly of chrome plated plastic like the grille surround on an 09 up F-159.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dale, painting the chrome plastic, is not a good idea, at all. I cannot speak from personal experience on the following process, but I know guys through my years in autobody who have done it, and claim it works well.........

Remove the plastic chromed peice, set it on a peice of cardboard, and spray it with a can of your wifes oven cleaner. Not the "enviro friendly" version, but the good old fashioned heavy duty Easy Off oven cleaner. Let it sit and do its thing, and wipe off the mess when its done. Wash the part real well with soap and water, and begin the sand, wipe, prime, sand base clear process.

Although it is from a R/C Vehicle, this video shows the stripping process. This guy didn't mention it, but I heard that covering the parts with plastic sheet helps to prevent it from drying out. The important part happens at 4:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGkcyHIbRRw

Again, I have never tried this on any of my own parts, so proceed with caution.

Last edited by canadianelbow; 01-10-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Reminds me of aircraft stripper on a hood. I wonder what all that chrome would look like coming off.

OP - If you do this, Update us on how it works. I would be interested to see the results. I have also never seen this done before either.

Definitely be careful with that oven cleaner. Had a gallon container of aircraft stripper loose its cap and spray all over a paint prep tech. It was not a pretty scene. Im not sure if that stuff is that heavy duty but anything that strips chrome off of plastic has to have some kick to it.

Quick Reply: Painting chrome