06 Gmc Crew..

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Gmc Crew..

My 04 F-150 reg cab 4wd is in the body shop. Avis no longer rent's trucks with a 8 ft box, I'm now working out of a 06 GMC SLE crew tiny tiny box with the 5.3 Vorteck..

The 5.3 hauls ***, much quicker on the top end than my 5.4, 355 LTD the 5.4 has quicker grunt at lower Rpm. 5.3 wins hands down...410 diff

Seat's...wow the Chevy/GMC are 1000 times better than the Ford...

Handeling and ride...My ford is a Formula 1 race car in comparison to the go Kart nature of the Seria, the Serria's ride feels like a tightly wound elastic band..

Fit and finish...Ford is better, how ever over all comfort in the Serria is better, even in the reg cab GMC and Chevy have more leg room than my Ford...Dodge is the clear winner..in front leg room...

Gismo's and gadget's....Serria wins, with automatic head lights and auto track 4wd rock, but the base delco sound is crap, Fords have better factery sound systems..

Entrance and exit, Chey/GMC is better, doors are bigger and the floor is lower....This GMC had the Rear drum brakes and I bet it will stop quicker than my ford, GMC crew is a lot lighter than my 04 Reg cab long box..

Front dash and instermintation in the chevy/GMC is sicky and looks old, but storage compartments and center arm rest's are much much bigger than Ford..

Due to the lack of quality and Just bad luck I have had with my Ford, I can not say it's better than the GMC, I don't like the p/w switchs and heater controls on the GMC ....

Next I'm going to rent a Avalanch...

Old 03-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclone vampire
My 04 F-150 reg cab 4wd is in the body shop. Avis no longer rent's trucks with a 8 ft box, I'm now working out of a 06 GMC SLE crew tiny tiny box with the 5.3 Vorteck..

The 5.3 hauls ***, much quicker on the top end than my 5.4, 355 LTD the 5.4 has quicker grunt at lower Rpm. 5.3 wins hands down...410 diff

Seat's...wow the Chevy/GMC are 1000 times better than the Ford...

Handeling and ride...My ford is a Formula 1 race car in comparison to the go Kart nature of the Seria, the Serria's ride feels like a tightly wound elastic band..

Fit and finish...Ford is better, how ever over all comfort in the Serria is better, even in the reg cab GMC and Chevy have more leg room than my Ford...Dodge is the clear winner..in front leg room...

Gismo's and gadget's....Serria wins, with automatic head lights and auto track 4wd rock, but the base delco sound is crap, Fords have better factery sound systems..

Entrance and exit, Chey/GMC is better, doors are bigger and the floor is lower....This GMC had the Rear drum brakes and I bet it will stop quicker than my ford, GMC crew is a lot lighter than my 04 Reg cab long box..

Front dash and instermintation in the chevy/GMC is sicky and looks old, but storage compartments and center arm rest's are much much bigger than Ford..

Due to the lack of quality and Just bad luck I have had with my Ford, I can not say it's better than the GMC, I don't like the p/w switchs and heater controls on the GMC ....

Next I'm going to rent a Avalanch...
GMC must be a lot different from Chevy, always thought they were basically the same. I traded a Silverado for my Ford. My Ford is better in every thing you mentioned plus some over my chevy.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Suspended
Chevy / GMC are the identical..only body styles are different..

Old 03-07-2006, 08:01 AM
My brother came home with a Loaded 2006 Silverodo (4 door) top of the line model (a 48K sticker on it) since he works for Chevy as a Mechanic and I'm not being mean But I'll give you my opinion. After comparing an XLT Supercrew F150, the XLT had more looks inside the cab then the Chevy does. The Chevy is extremely boring inside, very plain, looks like it was made in 1988 (I can see why they say they are in need of a makeover) I did not like the Chevy truck at all, and even for a guy who works on Chevy's for a living wouldn't even buy a Chevy truck and admits Ford trucks rank higher then the Chevy's. (which is why he drives an 05 F150 and not a Chevy)

On the plus side, lots of leg room in the rear seats, pretty nice ride, surprisingly never heard any rattles inside the cab going down pot hole streets. Engine is quite as you take off. (who knows for how long before they start knocking)

thats about it though, If I can give you just my advise I'd tell you to not Get that Chevy (GMC, same thing) or if you are a Chevy fan, wait until next year to get the redesigned truck as the current years look about 10 years old already.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Entrance and exit, Chey/GMC is better, doors are bigger and the floor is lower....
My lariat has auto headlamps, and auto 4wd.

The floor is lower because the gm is lower than a ford or dodge. My truck sits inches higher than a chevy.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Suspended
I'm not a chevy fan and the body shop ( Woodridge Ford ) needs two day's to put on a Bumper on my 04 Ford, ( no body damage, replace hitch brackets and bumper, bumper pad, brackets ) I have to admit, I like the ride and handeling of this GMC. It is also the most impractical truck I have ever used on the job site, The a shop vac takes up the box and I will never ever need or buy a crew cab/short box ( this box is shorter than a ex cab short box )

Old 03-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by 04 RED LARIAT
My lariat has auto headlamps, and auto 4wd.
You've got the auto headlamps, so does my XLT, got the auto shift on the fly as well. What GMC has that Ford doesn't is an auto 4 setting in addition to 4hi, 4lo and 2hi. Ford offers this in the SUV's but not the full size trucks. This plus dual zone auto climate control to name two has me leaning towards a Sierra for my next truck. How the F150 stays #1 I haven't a clue. For what I paid for my XLT two years ago I could have gone to GM and bought a loaded Sierra. Not to mention GM is supposed to do a major redesign for '08. Hmmm I may just be purchasing my first GMC....

Old 03-08-2006, 10:54 AM
GM Major redesign is for 07. Pickups are coming out later this summer.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Chevy / GMC are the identical..only body styles are different..
I know, that was meant as tounge in cheek. Does the truck you are looking at have disc brakes on the rear. GM went back to drum rears in 05 to save money. just curious if they corrected that.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:56 AM
I got out lamps on my 2000 Ford F150 Lariat.... Work for a dealership that sells everything... Driven the chevy/GMC. Nice but still would live with my F150. Just my .02cents

Old 03-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I know, that was meant as tounge in cheek. Does the truck you are looking at have disc brakes on the rear. GM went back to drum rears in 05 to save money. just curious if they corrected that.
It wasn't really to save money. GM went back to a full size drum rear because they felt it provided a stronger parking brake. Especially if you have to park on an incline/hill with a load or a trailer.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:48 PM
While my GXP was in for service they loaned me a 2005 Chevy extended cab truck with the 4.8 engine. Handling sucked compared to the ford and the interior felt dated but otherwise is was a nice truck. Power was pretty good for me though my f150 feels more powerful.

When GM releases the new 07 pickups it will be on in the pickup wars.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
It wasn't really to save money. GM went back to a full size drum rear because they felt it provided a stronger parking brake. Especially if you have to park on an incline/hill with a load or a trailer.

Yeah my grandfathers 04 GMC has 4 wheel disc but the new trucks have drums. I guess drum technology is better now as the 05 with drum brakes I drove stopped great.

Save 4 wheel disc for the sports cars...

Old 03-08-2006, 03:02 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Tbird69
When I went to my Chevy dealer to buy a 2005, he told me it was to cut costs. If it had anything to do with the emergency brake, then I bet it was because they were getting away from a design problem that was costing them money and customers. The emergency brake was on the inside of a hollowed out backside of the real rotor. It had to remain centered or it would eat up its contact surface, requiring replacement of the rotors in order to have a funtioning emergency brake. Which is required by most state inspections. The only way to keep it centered was to engage it when stopped. Most people with atuomatics never engage it. GM did not do a recall, as they had no solution to the problem, but if you contacted them, or a dealer was looking out for you, they would do the $800 repair free. They reimbursed mine. Just sounds as if this is the problem they were eliminating by going back to drum brakes which tend to heat up if you are towing on a downhill grade. My Chevy dealers anwer was "well, the front brakes do most of the braking". Sure they do, but the rear are there for a reason and if I am towing a heavy weight going down a mountain, I would prefer disc. This was a big reason I bought the Ford, then, I discovered the Ford had better materials, was built better, body panels lined up better, was much quieter, and now since Chevy had increased prices, cost about the same. That is after having a 2002 Silverado that I loved, 75,000 trouble free miles, other than the E brake problem.

Old 03-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Suspended
The GMC went back to avis today, had the truck for three days...

Now That I drving my Ford after the body work and new drivers set foam and fabric installed, thease trucks are as different than night and day..

The GMC 5.3 appears to be faster than my 5.4, only way to tell is a drag race, but the 5.3 was a pig on gas 1600 km on the OD 45.00 cdn for 235 KM city driving, For the same distance and driving habbit's, I'm close to doubling that with my ford... the 5ft box is a joke, the GMC crew makes a great car, terrible truck due to the box size...

I really looked hard at the GMC front/ rear bumpers/ hood and fenders, they are no where close to being solidly built as Ford...

The GMC has a smooth car ride, my Ford rides like a truck, it's a toss up as to which I like best, a long high way drive, I wolud take the Sierra over my F-150..

Seats are way better in the GM, Even with the new foam and fabric in my 04 Ford seats are terrible, The GM factery carpet is thicker...

Rear springs in the GM have more flex, the rear wheals pivit on crazy angels when going over rough obsticals, Ford springs are solid, thicker and longer than GM...

Ford has taken the plush out of the XLT, The SLE is way nicer...

Any how, Feels good to have my Ford Back.

I just want more leg room !!!!!

Quick Reply: 06 Gmc Crew..