1993 Ford Explorer SAS

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Meh, V8 = overrated !!

My 1.3 liters of screaming furry do the trick just fine !!! All ya need is a couple horses, and gearing to high heaven !

In reality, I think I would rather have the inline 4.0 over a V8, especially if ya plan to be keeping this pig light weight ! Maybe some tube work and skins ??

This thing rolling around yet ?
There's a very good possibility that i'll be cutting the roof out from the rear doors back and caging it. Been thinking about dovetailing the front of it as well...too many things that can be done hehe

Old 10-08-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Code
There's a very good possibility that i'll be cutting the roof out from the rear doors back and caging it. Been thinking about dovetailing the front of it as well...too many things that can be done hehe
I hear ya ! Always plenty to choose from. Me and my buddy actually JUST did that to his old Cherokee Heep. Put in a full cage, had it slope down in the back, then basically made it into a little pick-up lookin POS. We also removed all doors and glass. Looks pretty decent

Anyways, I think you should hack it off ! Would look pretty sweet.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:32 PM
haha that's exactly what I had in mind as far as sloping it down in the rear! I want to build in some roof sliders as well so when it gets leaned up against tree's I don't chew up the body so bad (body is not the biggest concern, but I don't want to absolutely destroy it).

Old 10-08-2008, 06:07 PM
haha that's exactly what I had in mind as far as sloping it down in the rear! I want to build in some roof sliders as well so when it gets leaned up against tree's I don't chew up the body so bad (body is not the biggest concern, but I don't want to absolutely destroy it).
Ya, I hate when I scratch my dents !

You get Crawl ?? The magazine ? Had an article where Ian johnson (dude from extreme 4x4) made a tube chasis. He was going to incorporate some roof sliders into it, looked pretty sweet. Just to throw out an idea for ya. I'll take some pics of the Heep tonight, just to show off !

Old 10-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Nah I don't get Crawl. I've seen it at Fry's though. May have to go pick one up. Have you had any problem getting your new issues? From the threads over on PBB seems like alot of guys barely ever get theirs?

Take pics...lots of pics!!!

Old 10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Nah I don't get Crawl. I've seen it at Fry's though. May have to go pick one up. Have you had any problem getting your new issues? From the threads over on PBB seems like alot of guys barely ever get theirs?

Take pics...lots of pics!!!
Ya, I talked ot the guys over at Crawl (cool crew) and they said they were using a distributor that was having nothing but issues. That was the problem, I didn't get my issue for like 4 months !! But since then, they have gone with a more expensive distributor, that promises better quality and ON TIME delivery. Since then, I have gotten mine every other month, as planned. Best mag out there, and well worth the wait.

I was done after yesterday and just went home. Tonight I will stop by his house to finish some misc crap up and I'll take pics then.

Last edited by MercedesTech; 10-09-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Ian's a pretty cool guy. He posts over on PBB occasionally. I like what he builds, extreme is about the only show left that actually does something other than bolt on. Trucks use to be like that, Stacey left though now it's duplicolor this, smitty built that etc etc

Old 10-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Ian's a pretty cool guy. He posts over on PBB occasionally. I like what he builds, extreme is about the only show left that actually does something other than bolt on. Trucks use to be like that, Stacey left though now it's duplicolor this, smitty built that etc etc
Ya, Ian seems chill. He is going to be out at the SEMA show, hopefully I can run into him.

I know what you mean, those other shows bore me to tears (yet I still watch em). Whatever happened to that Stacey guy ? He was pretty cool, and is what got me watchin in the first place.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:37 PM
he has a show called gearz, its on a really random times and theres not a ton of episodes but i did see one where he put a 302 into a miata. like you said mt most of them are the same old stuff but i still love watching them.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I use to watch it online. Really pretty good. I loved the Wicked *****'s and Crazy Horse he did while on Trucks

Old 10-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Alittle update. Not much done but I did start the backing plates for the spring buckets. I need to do some grinding and then drill em out. They'll make a really big footprint to sandwich the frame so I won't have any worries about the bolts pulling through. Tomorrow i'm planning on building backing plates for the tranny crossmember/RA mount so i won't have to worry about those.

I need to cut out some shock mount tabs, may try to build something that bolts to the u-bolt plates. Going to mount one shock towards the front and one in the rear like GM, I hope it'll help (alittle) control spring wrap.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey MT hows my steering plan sound?

Two 3/4" 3/4" ball heims with misalignment spacer for the drag link
two 3/4" 5/8" ball heims for the tie rod
http://www.aedmotorsport.com/FK/KMX_KMXL.htm

Drag link, tie rod, and trac bar made from 1/5x0.25" DOM

Going to drill out the knuckles to flip the tie rod. I'll mill out a sleeve for the knuckles so my 5/8" bolts will fit nice and snug.

What say ye?

Last edited by Code; 12-15-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:59 AM
sounds nice ! how many bolts are gunna be holding the steering to the knuckle ? Just curious. And by flippin your tie rod, are you gunna then be putting it above the leaf springs ? Or will it still be below ?

Also, you running normal power steering ? hydro assist ?

Either way, sounds beefy ! I need to start thinking about steering as well. I just don't know which way to go for now... But I did get me my Yota axles ! Stoked on those. So, right now I am also wheelin the **** outta some jack stands. Should be rolling by new years.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
sounds nice ! how many bolts are gunna be holding the steering to the knuckle ? Just curious. And by flippin your tie rod, are you gunna then be putting it above the leaf springs ? Or will it still be below ?

Also, you running normal power steering ? hydro assist ?

Either way, sounds beefy ! I need to start thinking about steering as well. I just don't know which way to go for now... But I did get me my Yota axles ! Stoked on those. So, right now I am also wheelin the **** outta some jack stands. Should be rolling by new years.
I'm basically duplicating the Ballistic setup http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/..._113-1336.html. Going to be crossover but no high steer. One 5/8" bolt per knuckle, knuckle will be sleeved for a tight fit. For now i'm running normal power steering. May tap the box in the future though. My father and I are going to mill out the tube adapters, may see about safety washers as well...it's great having an old school tool maker in the family

Old 12-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Definately do the safety washers !!! Cheap insurance !

Really ? one bolt per knuckle ? Does sound right. I use 4 on the Yotas, and there is an upgrade to use a 6 stud knuckle once you step up to 39"+ tires. Already looking into something like that for my new axles.

What size tires you running ?

Quick Reply: 1993 Ford Explorer SAS