1993 Ford Explorer SAS

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
Definately do the safety washers !!! Cheap insurance !

Really ? one bolt per knuckle ? Does sound right. I use 4 on the Yotas, and there is an upgrade to use a 6 stud knuckle once you step up to 39"+ tires. Already looking into something like that for my new axles.

What size tires you running ?
Yeah, it's basically a stock setup. Except instead of TRE's i'm using heims and i'm flipping the tie rod.

Here's the same thing i'm going to do except they're running the tie rod in the stock under knuckle position. One bolt through the knuckle

Old 02-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Well guys, have some news. Work has restarted! I want this bitch on the trail!

I got my rear shock mounts built and welded on this afternoon. Didn't go quite as I had planned though. I had intended to mount one fore and one aft of the axle. I got under it today and found that the angles just wouldn't have worked with the stock upper mounts. I am in no mood to build another crossmember/shock mount so I mounted them both behind the axle. Kinda sucks, but if I need to i'll just build a trac bar

Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Found this one while I was searching for my SAS thread. It's my homebrew 9" disc conversion. No one seemed interested when I originally posted it Wanted to make it part of this thread though so here it is...again!

https://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...onversion.html

Old 02-16-2009, 05:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wanna see this thing finished!
should be sweet

how long has it been in the works?

Old 02-16-2009, 07:55 AM
I think that it went under the knife back in 07? Been WAAAAAAAAAAYYYY too long! I've been lazy

Old 02-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Hopefully MT will chime in on this question! I need to beef up my tranny crossmemeber abit. I'm going to run a vertical piece up the frame rail starting at the tranny crossmember. The entire crossmember, including the RA mount portion is bolted together. The load should transfer to it just as it would if I started the extra support at the 2x6 portion. Am I correct with this thinking? I was thinking and three bolts in on the vertical portion like the cage ra mounts. Think this will work the way I want it to?

Paint-O-Cad version

Old 02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Man, now your just confusing me !

You talking about plating the frame ??? or strengthening the 4x2 portion ? Or is the 4x2 the frame ???

I don't follow you 100% I don't think. Be easy on me man, early on a monday ! Long weekend.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:52 PM
haha sorry about that!

Here's the how the crossmember currently is.

I want to do this and run a mount for the crossmemeber up the frame rail.

I just want to make sure that this is going to accomplish what I want and help keep the x-memeber good and solid.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 PM
I would also plate the ends.

Is the goal to keep it bolt on ?

I would sleeve the new holes too.

And that plate on both sides ??

Maybe run another one to make a V type opening. Know what I mean ? So you'd take the same bracket and flip it around. So it would be slanting up and be over the 6x2 subframe.

And again, definately would box the frame in !

Old 02-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Ok, crossmember beefer uppers are made...just need to be welded onto the x-member and drill the frame!

Batteries in the camera are dead. Picture exactly what I drew in paint...cept in metal LOL

I am going to need to cut out a spacer out for the driver side part. The foot of my slider is partially in the way so i'll need the space to place between the new piece and the frame. Nothing too bad fortunately

Old 04-12-2009, 10:21 PM
Ok started to make forward progress again. I have my crossmemeber loosely bolted back in. Instead of trying to make something like above i'm just going to weld the ra drops onto the frame. I have also made a set of backing plates to sandwich the frame. Also, last Friday I picked up a set of 35"s for 100 bucks. They are deffinitly worn (1/4"+ tread) but will work great for the trails for a number of runs. Once I get the x-member finished up i'm re-doing my trac bar mount cause the first version sucks haha.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Sounds like a good plan. pics or it didn't happen !

Old 04-14-2009, 08:36 PM
I wanted to have the x-member finished up by now but it's been cold and dismal here. Anyhow, here are the tires, not bad for 100 bucks!

You can see my wheels too, I am going to repaint them but I don't know what color yet.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:06 AM
damn, they don't look too bad at all. Nice find. You get 4 or 5 of those ?

You gunna do some beadlocks or rock rings for the wheels ? I like this color combo:

Its a flat army green, with gloss black wheels. My buddy runs those on his samurai. Not beadlocked, but just a "rim stiffener(sp?)" or rock ring. Keep from catching the lip of the steel rim and bending it and leaking air. Thats the idea anyways. Those rings are 1/4" thick. Pretty sweet. Just a thought.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:21 PM
I got the 4 for 100 but I already had a spare I got from a buddy (same brand/size) so 5 in all. I will need to find a spare wheel but that should be too hard. The wheels I have are 10"s wide so I don't think beadlocks would work too well. Down the road I may try to find internal bead locks though. I would like to get some rock rings cut out eventually as well. I thought they were a good deal. The guy I got them from was really nice, said that he had a ton of calls but I was the first one so I got them. It pays to be patient and persistent sometimes when trolling craigslist!

I do like that color combo. I'm thinking of painting the whole truck. Black bedliner lower corner/interior, flat tan upper part. Got to get the dang thing out of the garage first though!

Last edited by Code; 04-15-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: 1993 Ford Explorer SAS