1993 Ford Explorer SAS

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you already got some rock rings for the rims ?? Good deal man.

Staun is having a buy 3 get one free sale.... just saying !

Gotta love the rattle can paint jobs ! I prefer mine not to shine ! Makes for easy touch ups out on the trail !

Old 04-15-2009, 01:11 PM
No I don't have rings yet. I agree about the rattle can paint jobs. It'll see some pretty good scratchs haha

Old 06-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Been dinking around with my trac-bar and came to the conclusions that the stock 79 trac-bar just will not work with my setup. I'm sourcing a new on out to "Built By Pottsy" fabrication. The stock one has some bends that make it interfere with the drag link, straight should work just about perfect. If not...i'm going to hit the junk yard and try to find a longer pitman arm.

Anyway, I got the 9" all buttoned up today. Cleaned it out, bolted it in, and put the brakes on. I'm going to measure for hard lines in the next couple of days and go buy them. NAPA has a great selection of pre-made universal hard lines. I shouldn't have any problem finding the correct length. JUST NEED TO REMEMBER I HAVE NO OIL IN THE AXLE!

Suzuki Sammurai front rotors with oldsmobile bravada caliper and a custom bold on bracket

Tires are going to stick out nice

Last edited by Code; 06-07-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lookin good

Old 06-08-2009, 12:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure these pics will help you out much, but here is how I did mine:

Naturally the engine xmember needed some trimming to clear for flexing! The trick that did it for me was using the STOCK pitman arm! That made draglink nearly exactly parallel to the Tack bar!

The set up pictured has NO bump steer! I think I got lucky with it... I originally wanted to go High top steering, but this set up works so I left it along!

I hope this helps some how!

Sploder looks good!

Nem

PS... this is after the SAS was done

Last edited by Nemisus; 06-08-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:21 AM
nice Code, glad to see some updates on this beast ! and using Suzuki Samurai parts huh ? That easily will add 5HP and make for an all around better wheeler !

Old 06-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah, i'm happy to see it moving forward too! Yep it has sami rotors on the 9". They fit great! No need to grind the flange down at all like you have to do with other home-brew 9" disk conversions. Only thing I don't like about the bravada calipers is that they don't have a built in parking brake. I'm going to have to plumb in an electric line lock. I think i'll put it in right at the MC. No big deal though

Old 06-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Might want to double think the e-line lock unit. Parking brakes are over-rated (lost mine back when I did the Yoder swap). Check out the Jamar manual line lock. Works great as a parking break. You press brake pedal down, hold, press Ja-Mar button down, and brakes are locked. To disengage, you just jab your brake pedal real quick, and it's released. It's nice. Using that, and working with a hand throttle, makes those hairy situations a little easier, especially when trying to work the stick, clutch, etc.

The jamar manual unit can also hold your brakes over night, where an e-unit will drain the battery, and might disengage at a very BAD time.

Scroll down and check it out:
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/sambrakes.htm

Looking for this:
https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/pro...mar__18008.jpg

Just some advice. The electric line locks work great when you need the brakes to hold for a second, while shifting, or picking a line. I just prefer the manual one all around.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Parts are ordered!

I went to Napa and ordered all new ball joints, wheel bearings, loaded calipers, front and rear drop lines, left and right front brake lines, 25' of bulk-hardlines and fittings. This weekend i'm going to try to hit the junk yard to find longer driveshafts that can be cut down. Making progress

Old 06-10-2009, 10:46 AM
sweet !

Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Just picked up all my new parts

Hopefully i'll be able to get some work done this weekend

Old 07-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Finally got the truck on the axles. I have everything I need to get it on the road except a few misc. parts for the stock steering (which is only temporary). Also will need to make my new driveshafts and put some new shocks on. Anyway

Old 07-16-2009, 11:34 AM
NICE !!!!!!! congrats man, starting to see some silver lining around the clouds, huh ? How much longer are you thinking ? Until your out wheeling ?

Probably going to beat me. Got my samurai rolling, but still need P/S lines, other misc small details, and a cage !

Old 07-17-2009, 11:37 PM
I hope to have it moving in a couple of weeks. I have a run I really want to make around August 20th. I'm going to run brake lines this weekend, and go to the junk yard to find some drive shafts. Also need some f250 shock mounts and shocks but i'm not buying those till I can jack each side up and do some measuring. Need to hit up a buddy to work on my front gears too. All else fails we'll do them in the camp before the run

Old 07-17-2009, 11:49 PM
CODE:

PM sent

Quick Reply: 1993 Ford Explorer SAS