1993 Ford Explorer SAS

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Code
I hope to have it moving in a couple of weeks. I have a run I really want to make around August 20th. I'm going to run brake lines this weekend, and go to the junk yard to find some drive shafts. Also need some f250 shock mounts and shocks but i'm not buying those till I can jack each side up and do some measuring. Need to hit up a buddy to work on my front gears too. All else fails we'll do them in the camp before the run
Right on man. Well, wish you luck on making that run ! If you were closer, I'd be more then willing to set up those gears for you. Also, you could probably make shock mounts a little cheaper then buying the F250 towers. Just a thought. Good luck bud.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Not alot done tonight, it was a hell of a day at home and work though. I did get started on the brake lines though. Only got as far as making a bracket for the rear distribution block but progress is progress! I need to find a female -> female fitting for my front soft line. Off to jegs.com

Old 07-23-2009, 10:17 PM
A good night! I got the front brakes from the drop to the master cylinder totally plumbed. I also ran the hard line from the MC to the rear. Took me a good 3 hours. Running the hard line between the frame and the gas tank is a pain! I'm hitting the junk yard Sunday to find some drive shafts. I will also finish running the hard lines on the rear axle.

It's going well. I may need to tackle my gears myself

Old 07-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Good progress this weekend. I got my tires mounted and the hard lines for my brakes are DONE! :ohyeah:

Wanted to get an idea of what the tires looked like :brow:

Looks like the total height will go up 6-7 inches.

How I ran the hard lines. I think they'll be ok here...

Old 07-27-2009, 01:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang thats gonna be a nasty exploder!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 AM
lookin good code.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 PM
I was playing around with some of the spare drive shafts I have and I think I have my front ds worked out :redneck:

I have about .25" of the spline showing. It should work until I can build a new one.

My rear drive shaft though has around 2" of spline showing...definitely going to need a longer one. I'm going to go to the junk yard and hope to find one. I'm pretty happy about the front though, that halved my cost of getting the stockers lengthened.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I went to the junk yard today. Found nothing. Half the drive shafts were pretzeled found nothing even close. It was not the best pull a part i've been to. I'm going to take the ds to a shop to have it lengthened.

But anyway, tomorrow I leave for a buddies to do the gears in my front axle. Explorer should be on it's tires by next weekend

Old 08-02-2009, 09:10 PM
The gears are in. Went pretty well. The carrier that I had had carrier bearing pressed on. They were a PITA to get off. We had to grind in a notch so that we could get a bearing puller on it.

List is down to a drive shaft, couple new shocks, shock towers, and make a x-member for the RA mounts. Need to put everything together and bleed the brakes. I think that's it

Old 08-03-2009, 04:18 PM
for the driveshaft, anyway you can make a spacer ? A small 1" or so looks like all you would need ? Sometimes it can be pretty easy to drill out and make a spacer, if ya have some stuff laying around. Just an idea. Not sure how it looks under there, but usually spacers aren't a problem.

Glad the gears went well for ya.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 PM
got the rotors and hubs on tonight. It was a severe pain the the butt to torque the outer spindle nut. The spindle nut wrench kept slipping off and rounding off the keyways in the nut. I had to put my impact wrench on it to get it torqued correctly. I got the rear driveshaft loaded up too. Hopefully I can drop it off at the drive line shop tomorrow to get it lengthened. After that I just need my shocks and mounts.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:48 PM
It's been awhile since I updated yall. About all that's left is a couple shocks, a u-joint/straps and some castle nuts. I got the brakes bled last Saturday, went surprisingly easy, I guess the abs delete helped that! I then tried to start it, it had been well over a year and I found a dead fuel pump. I just got that in tonight, and it fired right up. Had a new rear drive shaft made also so i'm doing well. I hope to move it tomorrow night, just in time to drive a couple hours to the trails on Friday

Old 08-30-2009, 05:37 PM
hows it doing now?

did you get it on the trails how did it do?

Old 08-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Unfortunately I couldn't find what I needed to finish it for the run. It wouldn't have been completed the way I wanted it to though. The old tie rod was toasted anyway. Now I can built it the way I want with DOM and heims. I can also get my winch mount finished so that will be nice.

I did win a 25% off gift certificate for an ARB. Looks like that's my Christmas present this year

Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Sitting on the tires for the first time since God knows when. I really dig the stance! :ohyeah:

Quick Reply: 1993 Ford Explorer SAS