1993 Ford Explorer SAS

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 Ford Explorer SAS

Thought that i'd post up the object of my (mechanical) obsession haha. Started out as a 1993 explorer 4x4. The SAS isn't finished yet but here's what i've done so far.

First major modification was the addition of my rock sliders. The stock rockers were rotted away so I cut everything out and placed the sliders where they once were. By doing this I cut about 4-5"s off the bottom of the body and even with the sliders gained around 2"s of clearance without any additional lift. Also seen in this pic are my 31"s and a simple spacer (2wd f150 lower spring seats) aal lift.

I decided that I wanted to ditch the stock d35ttb and 8.8" so after abit of looking I found a 1979 Dana44 and 1978 big bearing 9". Will be running less than 6"s of total lift, and keeping them full width. This will make a nice wide stable base for off camber trails and rocks. Gearing is 5.13's full spool in the rear and a locker or spool in front (prolly a locker) and I will be running 35" tires.

Hooray for parts!

9" mocked up

Last edited by Code; 09-17-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Difference between stock and new track width.

d35 send off

Looking better already!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Front end tear down. Because I'm running a full width axle I do have to space out the upper buckets 2"s on each side and take into account a hump that the explorer has in the frame rail.

I'm using full size bronco buckets, cut down to stock explorer height buckets, with a 2" spacer made from 2x4 box behind it. The bolts are sleeved and end caps installed. The drivers side spacer was a bitch because of the hump I mentioned above. It required me to do some fancy work with the angle grinder. Here it is mocked up though.

Here's my radius arm/tranny crossmember. It buts up to the underside of the frame and spaces the ra mounts down 2"s for better angle. There will be backing plates on the other side of the frame rail to keep the bolts from trying to rip out. Everything is grade 8 throughout the build. I'm really happy with this piece as it allows me to remove the tranny crossmember without dropping my axle as well, it's all bolted together.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Checking clearances...it barely misses the cat on the passenger side. A hammer will give me more space soon.
Here are my coils in comparison to the stock ttb coils. These are 3.5" wild horses VR coils for an early bronco. Should be very flexy especially with a wristed passenger side arm

Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Bolted up...finally!

I'm going to wrist the passenger side arm for more flex.

Starting to mock up the front end. Got to get the trac bar and drag link to be as paralelle as possible to reduce bump steer. Eventually i'm going to replace all the stock crap with DOM and heims.

I'm glad I took this pic. I forgot (it's been awhile unfortunately) if I set the steering up for the tie rod positioned over or under (the stock setup) the steering knuckle.

Trac bar mount in and in the right place. This is the stock trac bar from the f150. I need to build a new one that's straight so that my pitman doesn't hit when turning left to lock. Feel free to laugh at the string...I lost the nuts haha

Last edited by Code; 09-17-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Fully sitting on the new suspension

Now that that's all finished I started the rest.

My own 9" disk brake conversion kit. 200? olds bravada calipers, 90's suzuki rotors, a hope and prayer

and i'm out of pics. I'm to the boring nickle and dime phase now. I have to finalize my steering plans, run all new hard and soft brake lines, new bearings, shocks, tires, driveshafts etc.

I really ran out of motivation and time this summer so not alot has happened. It has recently picked up quite abit and the lines are getting ran in the next couple of weeks. I'll update this thread as I move along. I REALLY need to get it finished. It's been down for like 2 years now!!!!!!!!! Still runs like a sewing machine though!

Hope yall like

Last edited by Code; 09-17-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Always nice to see some real build-ups in here !!

What are you doing about the brakes ? Is the pump and everything set-up for rear disc? Is it gunna be big enough/enouygh pressure ?

Is this trail only ?

If so, that rear overload spring can probably be tossed, might net you some more flex. You gunna get rid of those stock arms or what ?? Those things are gunna kill you, a nice linked set-up would be sweet, flex more, and hold up better. If you can, have the DOM tubing machined to a octagon type shape (beasty strong, but hard to do right. Need THICK material). Also, don't go heims, go Johnny joints or jimmy joints. You'll like em better, promise.

Don't forget some armor and a roll cage !

Old 09-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Stock this year explorer had drum rear. I just gutted the ABS system and am rerunning all my lines directly the the MC. There is some adjustment that can be made to the stock MC to move more fluid so i'm going to try that first. If that doesn't work I have a box of MC's on the shelf to try...if all else fails f150 MC. I need to remove that overload, i'll do that when I pull the rear again to weld on my shock brackets. I know that the stock arms aren't going to work the best. I do plan on wristing the passenger side though which from what i've seen on others trucks really help. I will be able to pin it so that it's solid if needed, un-pin it when on the trail I would love to link it but this year d44 has cast outers and the tubes don't run all the way to the C's. I can simply flip the RA brackets around and have room for an 8-10" extension. I've been mulling over how to add some more armor the the underside and a cage will probably happen not too long after I finish the rest of the truck. I'd like to cut the roof out past the rear doors at some point.

It's going to be all trail, maybe run it around the neighbor hood durning the offseason but that's about it

Old 09-18-2008, 03:50 PM
so what are you going to do about the engine? 5.0 or 5.8 or leave it alone?

Old 09-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Quit following me

Wait, I take that back, someone has to pull my dead pos out of the pond when I sink it again.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Nico
Quit following me

Wait, I take that back, someone has to pull my dead pos out of the pond when I sink it again.
LOL I was worried my little 250 timberpup would pull that hog of a quad you have

As far as the engine goes it's going to remain stock for now. I do have a 302 basket case sitting in the corner of the garage though that will need to have a home somewhere. Could be the sploder, could be a hot rod, could be a buggy...I don't know yet

Old 09-21-2008, 03:12 PM
I put a winch on that hog now so next time I decide to do something real stupid it should not jam us up as bad.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Matts ford
so what are you going to do about the engine? 5.0 or 5.8 or leave it alone?
hopefully a wieand 6-71 on a 32 valve 5.4 with 2 carbs on top and bug catcher to a 6 speed manual trans

that's gonna be a trail worthy explorer when your done

Old 10-08-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks, I started on the last bit of fabrication last weekend. Hopefully I can finish it up this weekend. I think a mod motor may be abit wide for the explorer, 302's fit like a glove but I like the 4.0. With the gearing I have, where it makes it's power, and it's durability it should be a pretty good. Granted....V8 power is MUCH better

Old 10-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Code
Thanks, I started on the last bit of fabrication last weekend. Hopefully I can finish it up this weekend. I think a mod motor may be abit wide for the explorer, 302's fit like a glove but I like the 4.0. With the gearing I have, where it makes it's power, and it's durability it should be a pretty good. Granted....V8 power is MUCH better
Meh, V8 = overrated !!

My 1.3 liters of screaming furry do the trick just fine !!! All ya need is a couple horses, and gearing to high heaven !

In reality, I think I would rather have the inline 4.0 over a V8, especially if ya plan to be keeping this pig light weight ! Maybe some tube work and skins ??

This thing rolling around yet ?

Quick Reply: 1993 Ford Explorer SAS