Powertrax No-Slip?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Powertrax No-Slip?

Are these any good for street driving?

I have a F-150 2WD w/ an open differential right now and It sucks for wet and snow driving.

I mainly want better dry, wet, and light snow traction (more than 1" calls for AT or snow tires) but is the Powertrax going to fit my needs?

I don't want to overhaul my entire rear end for a new TrueTrac or a Traction-Lok, but is the Powertrax No-Slip durable and tolerable in the snow?

Old 01-09-2003, 03:11 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They work well and are quiet but not as comfortable as I had hoped it would be. I just posted this for someone else so I will copy it here:
If I had it to do over again (and I may just redo it) I would go for a Detroit TrueTrack. This is a geared locker that is as comfortable as an open rear and very effective in dirt and snow.
Go to Randy's Ring and Pinion to read about it and you can call 1-800-292-1031 for pricing. They are quite resonable.

Old 01-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I actually decided to go with the Detroit TrueTrac as well

It's a limited slip differential manufactured by Dyneer.
It uses six helical planetary gears that rotate around the side gears - I believe they smash against the casing when they work...

its VERY similar to the Torsen T-2, except the TrueTrac uses full helical gears while the T-2 uses a split helical gear design:

I'm wondering if the TrueTrac calls for any different kinds of lubrication - I was planning to run whatever gear oil I had for the first 500 miles to break it in, then run Redline 75W-90 afterwards.

The only ppl that break the TT and T-2 are Mustang owners who decide to do clutch dumps at 7000 RPM w/ NItto drag radials. heh

I decided not to go with the No-Slip due to its slightly weaker design and becuase the fact its an auto-locker, not very good on snow as you said.

I saw this brand new cop car just peel out in reverse on light snow, then slam into drive on the same surface. Not once did he get stuck spinning the tire. My Crown Vic, OTOH, with good tires will spin like crazy even on wet pavement. THe cop car had Goodyear Eagle RS-As which are basically crap. heh

Anyhow I got all the info from researching and wanted to post it here in case anyone else was looking!

Quick Reply: Powertrax No-Slip?