axle bearing removal woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry axle bearing removal woes

I just replaced my 8.8 with a 9.75. Come to find out the 9.75 that I bought has a bent right axle. Ford can't seem to get the right axle for me but that is another problem altogether. Does anyone know how to get the bearings out of the end of the axle housing? The Haynes manual that I have recommends a bearing puller and a slide hammer. I bought the only slide hammer I could find and attached it to my bearing/gear puller. The fingers on the puller will not stay tight against the inside of the bearing without me holding them in place. And the slide hammer is a total piece of junk. I can't seem to get any force behind it. The contraption has destroyed the bearing but has not budged the race. Any help would be appreciated. My new axle is supposed to be here tomorrow and I need to get this bearng changed.

Thanks,
hobackf150

Old 01-21-2003, 05:05 PM
I did this to a 12 bolt Chevy rearend last winter. I had to use a prybar to get the bearing out. I pryed against the housing itself, which took a lot of effort, but got the job done. However I did ding up the end of the housing and had to clean it up with a file so that the new bearing and seal wouldn't get destroyed on the way in. It's not the right way to do it, but it worked. Just do your best not to damage the housing, and remember to pry arounf the whole bearing evenly. If it cam's in the housing, it may not come out. Good Luck!

Old 01-21-2003, 05:08 PM
That sounds to easy- I should mention that I pryed on the baering and tapped on the prybar with a hammer to loosen the bearing race. It was the only way to break it free.

Old 01-21-2003, 05:23 PM
I couldn't get the the race out either.

I worked at it with a slide hammer and a pry bar for an hour. 5 minutes with the Dremel took care of it.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...9-75-17605.jpg

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...9-75-17611.jpg

Old 01-21-2003, 09:11 PM
After replacing brg. & axle, be sure to rotate pinion & make sure everything is free in the 9.75". There is a possibility that the axle housing is bent (since the axle was bent).

To be absolutely positive; You could install a magnetic base dial indicator on the axle housing & check the runout on the new axle flange, after axle shaft is installed.

Old 01-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. The axle is here but I'm going out of town today. The tech at the dealer offered to loan me his puller this weekend so I'll give that a try. If that doesn't work I have a dremel and several pry bars so I'll get it one way or the other. I'll let you know how it goes though.

Old 01-22-2003, 07:14 PM
All i do, and it has worked perfect every time, is I take a long peice (8 ft)of ~1 inch tube and slide it in the opposite axle tube, and through the housing. Then i set it against the bearing and give it a few smacks with the hammer, then out comes the bearing. I find it very quick compaired to other methods i have tried.

Old 01-29-2003, 09:02 AM
Talking

Thanks again for the tips. The tech at Ford actually suggested the pipe through the other end trick too. But he said that I would have to pull the carrier out ot do it. Anyhow, I got it out by using a regular $10 gear puller and a pry bar. I placed the pry bar over the end of the housing and tightened the screw against it. It came out so easy I felt kind of stupid for destroying the first bearing with the slide hammer. Everything is back together and is performing well. After a few road miles I hit some trails to shake it up a bit. It holds great. Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: axle bearing removal woes