4x4 turning

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4x4 turning

call me ingnorant if I seem clueless here but I shifted into 4x4 High this afternoon and backed up out of my spot, of course turning as a I went. I got about 6 feet out in a turn and my 99 xlt, seemed to tighten up and come to a stop. I didn't want to give it gas, so I put it back into 2H and pulled back into the stall and backed up just fine. also, tonite, I tried turning in 4H going forward and the same thing. although I've used it before.

backing up straight, no problem. backing up and trying to turn in 4H,4L, problem. what gives?

Old 01-22-2003, 12:03 PM
This is normal for these trucks. When you turn the front wheels sharply they will bind. When power is applied to the front both wheels turn at the same speed but, if you turn the wheels then one wheel is moving faster than the other. A slippery surface (sand, snow etc) will usually cause you not to notice it. Backing up with the wheels turned will give you that stopped feeling unless you press on the gas. Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2003, 01:41 PM
This is normal for ANY 4x4 not just "these" trucks. You aren't really hurting much when you do this, but don't do it very often as it is still hard on everything.

Old 01-22-2003, 05:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
This is because there is no differential between the front axle and the rear axle. This is what you want in a 4x4 because then you know you have power to both the front wheels and the rear wheels.

I had a Cherokee that could get stuck with one wheel in the ditch because only that one wheel would spin. On the F-150 you have to spin at least two wheels, one front, one rear.

What happens is the front wheels turn the same when you are going straight. When you turn, the back wheels take a shorter circle and spin slower than the front wheels. Its as if the front wheels are dragging the rear wheels across the pavement.

It works great when you need 4x4 traction, but is very hard on tires when you run that way on pavement. If you would have given more gas the tires would hop our jump as you corner. That is from the tire with the least traction slipping on the pavement.

Normal feature, no harm done.

Old 01-22-2003, 06:34 PM
I bought a 98 F150 in August and my first experience where I needed 4x4 was actually offroad at my grandpa's farm while working, but a few weeks ago I put it in 4x4 high to just make sure it was still ok, the same thing happened to me while turning to hard (though it seemed to not be that hard). I talked to my dad that night, who has owned many 4x4s in his life and he pointed out to me that this was normal, I used to have a Isuzu Rodeo but did not recall this fact about 4x4s. I know that my post does not give any new information or anything, but I felt like pointing out that I had the same "learning" experience. Thanks for your info though guys.

Old 01-24-2003, 04:34 PM
I've been meaning to ask this for a few months now, and this looks like the thread to do it.

In 2WD when I am making a slow speed turn on dry pavement with the steering wheel all the way to the stop in either direction (i.e. turning into a parking space), the front tires give a steady chirp.

Is this a normal side effect of having a transfer case between the front wheels, or is this something I need to have looked at? I'd rather it not do that because I get dirty looks from people (and police) who assume I'm going too fast around corners.

Old 01-24-2003, 07:36 PM
Big Tuna

There is no t-case between the front wheels only the front differential. I'd start with tire pressure and then look at other suspenion components. Probably not a driveline problem.

Old 01-24-2003, 10:44 PM
You sure its coming from the front? You have a locker or a LS in the rear? If it is truely the front it IS possible (however extremely unlikely) that it could be the spiders, but I severely doubt it.

Old 01-24-2003, 11:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
After tire pressure the first thing I would check is the front end alignment. How are your front tires wearing? I make a tight turn on sealed blacktop to get into my garage, and have no squeek.

My youngest son bumped a curb in the snow this winter, and his car tires now squeek in the driveway.

Quick Reply: 4x4 turning