Wheels rubbing bumper..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheels rubbing bumper..

Help! I have a 1994 F150 4X4 and I have just put new bushings in the radius arms, now when I back up the front drivers side wheel moves 2 inches forward and rubs on the bumper. I have had it to a mechanic, a wheel alignment center and the local Ford dealer/repair center. No-one seems to know what is causing this problem let alone how to fix it. Any help?

Last edited by snuffleruk; 02-09-2003 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:25 PM
Sounds to be that bushings in the left side radius rod are not torqued all the way down? You may want to try to tighten the left side radius rod again.

Old 02-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Yeah Gearman, that was the first thing I checked. Torqued them down to 250lbs and still rubbing. They are only supposed to be torqued to 150lbs.

Old 02-11-2003, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it possible that you may have switched the left and right side radius arms?

Are the bushings all the same? I remember them being two with a lip that fit into the hole where they mount on the chassis, and two with a recess so they sort of interlock. Maybe you put the two with a lip on one side and the other two on the opposite side?

Just taking a wild guess here but please let us know how things turn out.

Good luck.

Old 02-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Well Guys, I spent the morning under the truck checking the bushings again and all is as it should be. I also had someone drive the truck back and forth while I lay there trying to see if I could see if and where the movement was coming from but no luck with that either. There is no sign of wear or scraping anywhere that might have given me a clue. Just the continual 2 inch forward jump of the drivers side wheel when the truck is in reverse and the steering is turned clockwise. Oh well, guess I'll have to pull out all my blond hair or start smoking again. Thanks for trying

Old 02-13-2003, 07:12 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
3 things to check; The Radius arm bracket where it mounts to the frame. Is is cracked or have the bolt holes ovaled? Does the ear where the raduis arm bolts up to it flex?
The raduis arm itself for a crack where it attaches to the lower part of the front axle.

JMC

Old 03-26-2003, 06:44 PM
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you guys and let you know how things are going... After many hours under the truck I have discovered that the left radius arm is not quite the same as the right one - my only conclusion is that the truck was rebuilt at some point. Anyway, I know have it so that it is no longer rubbing but have decided to trade it in and get me nice bright shiny truck in place of this old workhorse. (Just give me a couple of months and I will have the new one looking like as ragged as the old one! <grin>) Thanks for all your thoughts. Denise

Quick Reply: Wheels rubbing bumper..