Power Steering Flush question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Flush question

I have a question about power steering flush.

First just how do you flush the power steering? Is it simple using a pump and sucking the fluid out of the reservoir, or is there more involved?

Second when is it actually a good time to do it mileage wise? My dealer recommends it at 30,000 miles. To be honest I have never flushed the power steering in any vehicle I have owned in the past but if it’s good maintenance practice to do so then I would do it. Of course I would do it myself I can not see paying $49.95 to have it done. The dealer states it includes BG conditioner, what is that?

As a note my truck is a 01 has approx. 31,000 miles on it and the power steering fluid has never leaked and still at the proper level.

Old 02-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Unhook the return line @ the pump. This is the line that doe's not have high pressure swedged on fittings. Drop return line into a bucket. Have someone start engine & continually pour new fluid into resivor.

This will enable the complete hydraullic (steering system) to be purged of all old fluid. This is the proper way to flush the system.

Flushing the steering (hydraullic) system is utterly important on any vehicle when replacing pump or gearbox (after a failure in the system has occured).

Old 02-10-2003, 07:39 PM
gearmanx17:

Thanks for the informantion. You mention it is important to do when replacing pump or gearbox. What about doing it for maintenance? I have had no problems with it and have not replaced anything so is it still wise to do it?

One last question, what is BG conditioner?

Thanks again...

Old 02-10-2003, 09:17 PM
There would be nothing at all wrong, doing flush as preventive maintenance in this manner. Removing return line to pump would only insure that all old fluid would be purged from system, when replaced by new-clean fluid.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Flush question