CV joint bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy CV joint bad?

For the past 2 weeks or so I have noticed a clicking sound coming from my left front wheel when ingaged in left hand turns. So is my cv joint going bad? what else if anything could this noise be coming from?

Old 02-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Most likely that's what it is. They are not too hard to replace, about 45 minutes tops. You can do it in about 25 if you know what you're doing. Just be sure to get an alignment when after you change it out.

Old 02-10-2003, 03:46 PM
Just WHY would you need an alignment after replacing a CV. You don't change any suspension geometry. The camber and everything stays as it was. All you're doing is bascially pulling a driveshaft and putting a new one in. You shouldn't need one unless you make other adjustments.

Old 02-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the replies Ill look into the parts

Old 02-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by powerstroke73
Just WHY would you need an alignment after replacing a CV. You don't change any suspension geometry. The camber and everything stays as it was. All you're doing is bascially pulling a driveshaft and putting a new one in. You shouldn't need one unless you make other adjustments.
Because you have to knock the lower control arm ball joint and steering knuckle out of it's socket to pull the rotor assembly off of the old CV shaft. After you replace it and tighten it back up it's been my experience that things are always a little off. A $50 alignment is cheap insurance against a $200 or more set of new front tires.

Quick Reply: CV joint bad?