welding on my frame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
welding on my frame?

hey, all. I have a question, I need to weld some stuff on to my frame. can I do that? my truck is a 99 f-150 4x4 and I was wondering if this will change the properties of the frame and weaken it? I really dont want to weaken it, so if need be I will need to make some weird bolt on conraptions?

thanks

Old 03-28-2003, 01:18 AM
No, if done properly the weld will not weaken your frame. In fact it will probally be stronger at the welded areas because you are essentially heat treating the metal when welding. I welded sliderz to my Xterra's frame a year ago and have land on them hard a few times with no sign of damage. Just be sure to disconnect your battery before you start welding.

Old 03-30-2003, 05:54 PM
I try to stay away from welding on these frames. The most I have done has been some mudflap mounts. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as it's nothing too big.
Adding too much heat reduces the strength of the it.

Old 04-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Cool Welding

I concur with the guys; by the way, you need to disconnect your battery first so you don't ruin your O2 sensor. I've had a significant amount of welding done on my truck with no problems. Steve

Old 04-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks. I decided to make bolt on rock sliders, each side using 8, 1/2" grade 8 bolts to the frame. I am also planning a rear winch mount bumper, so I decided to box the rear of my frame. I did so with 3/16" plate steel, that i shaped to the frame rails and made sure I didnt box anything behind them that I needed. It looks good, and yes I disconnected the battery, and grounded the welder correctly to avoid any electrial problems. thanks for the help.

Old 04-10-2003, 03:19 AM
Ignerence
How about some pics of your work?

Old 04-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Smile

Ok, post your e-mail, and when I get them finished I will take some pics for you. I dont have a dig. so it may be a little while. Any body know what wall tube I should use for the rear bumper and horizontal part of the rock sliders. I have a bunch of dom 1.25, .25 wall I think I will use for the sliders(mounts made with 1.25 .125 wall and .25" plate brackets) for the rear bumper Im not sure, I was planning on dual 2.5" .125 dom tube, or 3" .125 wall. I am planning on getting it bent and wrapped around my rear quarters to the reear fenders? Any ideas. The winch mounting plate is welded in on my receiver hitch and the bumper will hold the fairlead when i get the rear winch. I hope this works out ok?

Quick Reply: welding on my frame?