Replaced my rear U joint.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 01:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Replaced my rear U joint.....

Noticed that my rear u joint had just the smallest bit of 'play' in it, plus I was hearing a very faint 'squeak' recently.

After getting the drive shaft on the bench, what a PITA to get that old POS U joint out of there!! Had to beat the living crap out the old one to get it out. The old one had two completely dry caps on it!!)

Used some penetrating oil and everything, but those things were basically seized on tight. Used my impact gun sockets and a BFH to beat on the caps. Eventually got the suckers out and the new one in.

Wish I had one of those big *** industrial vices or a hydraulic press! Would have made it a lot easier. My little whimpy vice was only good for holding the drive shaft while I beat on it!

The new joint has the grease fitting but, like an idiot, I put it on facing the rear!! Now, you can't get to it when it's on the truck! DOH!!!!! Too lazy to take it out and swap it around. I'll just have to pull the driveshaft and grease it that way, until the front one goes and I have to replace it. I have the second new u joint for the front, as I WAS going to replace them both, but after fighting so hard with the rear, decided to wait until I had to, or got better bench equipment.

Anyway, just make sure you put the grease fitting facing towards the front!!

Last edited by MitchF150; 04-14-2003 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Ujoints

MitchF150, Thanks for the good info and sounds like something I'd do!!

Quick Reply: Replaced my rear U joint.....