WTF... '95 4x4 alien automatic hub

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF... '95 4x4 alien automatic hub

Just when I think I've found all the strange things on my '95.....

I have what seems to be a little bearing play, and wanted to turn the rotor as well (one piece rotor/hub). I popped off the cover to remove the hub and see which lock nut spanner socket I needed, and was greeted with a hub I've never seen before.

There is a cover that barely clears the outer seal cover, and extends out from the hub. It has machined in it areas similar to what most inner locking nuts have on the older 4x4s, but instead of 4 notches it has 6. It also feels as if there is a spring pre-load on it, as it can be pushed in slightly.

I did a search and didn't find any tools for it, just the usual spanner sockers for the inner nuts. This is NOT inside the hub, but the outer part of the 4x4 locking hub. I've done both the older manual and auto hubs and never seen this type. The outer cover is held on my 3 torx head bolts, IIRC most of the automatic hubs had 5 or 6???

I'm stumped. My first thought was to grab it with a large pair of Channel Locks and let it rip, but I figure there must be a reason for the machining on the cover.....

Old 07-15-2003, 07:23 AM
Iam having the same problem with a 94 have you found a solution yet?

Old 07-23-2003, 10:14 PM
Picture?

I am not really understanding you. You have the cover off and the hub sticks out? I think it should have a retaining ring around the edge that could be a pain to get out. I use a sharpened bent up welding rod. However if you could post some pictures of what you are looking at it would help me out.

Old 08-14-2003, 07:18 AM
MAybe some help

I had a 96 and had bad hubs..Sounds like mine on the inside. Clean the outer circumference really well. Look close and you will see a big circlip in the housing. That is what holds the asembly in. IT is a PITA to get out sometimes. Try to buy some dental pics or similiar. That is what i used

Quick Reply: WTF... '95 4x4 alien automatic hub