2x4 or 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 05:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2x4 or 4x4?

Hey Guys,

New to the forum and to the truck world so take it easy on me

I am about to buy a 97 2x4 with a 4.6. I am buying the truck to carry wood for woodworking and also the finished products including cabinets etc. I will be driving this to work, about 3 miles and fairly flat roads. I live in Iowa so there will be about 3 or 4 bad snow falls a year. The car that I am used to is a Grand Marquis. I have test driven several 4x4 and the ride seems very rough to me. I like the ride of this 2x4 because it is real close to my Marquis.

How much weight do I need to put in the back to run this in the winter?

Will I be disappointed with a 2x4????

Tom in Iowa

Old 09-05-2003, 09:42 AM
Hi Tom.

If you're used to a rear wheel drive V-8 in Iowa weather, I think you'll be fine.

The 4X2 will get a little better MPG, and since it is not exactly new there is half as much stuff to break in the drivetrain.

The 4.6 is a very good engine. Power is more than the 4.2, a little less than the 5.4, and MPG is decent at around 15. I think you'll be happy with it if it's in decent shape. Cruise around in Engines and you will find threads about mpg, mods, common problems, and how much weight for the winter.

There's a lot of good info here, look around and have fun.

Old 09-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you know if the differential is limited slip or open?

In the snow I find that 3 or 4 hundred pounds over the axle works best for me. Dropping the tire pressure down a little seems to help too.

Good luck.

Old 09-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a 4 x 2 in Chicago. While drifting is not usually bad by me, my partents that I see every weekend, live 33 miles west in "god's country", and it can get bad at times.

This is not a problem for the 4 x 2 with 300#s right between the wheel wells in the box, so it is directly over the axle.

I have a 3.55 LS rear end in mine, with a 5.4L.
A good set of tires also helps out. Mich is a good one. I usually ran Generals on my trucks due to cost, but this time opted for a set of Mich Pilot LTXs, and I am more then pleased with the performance in wet conditions. Really have to work it hard around a corner, in the rain, to get them to break loose. Can't wait until this winter. Put Mich Pilots on the Exs car, and it helped in the winter and rain conditions over the previous sport tires on it.

I have always subscribed to if you are not going off road alot in deep stuff, or doing serious plowing, a 4 x 4 is not a requirement.
Sand dune running is another place that a 4x4 is needed.
If these don't sound like you, then don't bother with the 4x4.

The only thing I would ask, is if you are going to be towning alot, if so you might want to look into a 5.4L engine if you can. You did not mention this, but it might be a consideration for later.

Good luck, welcome to the forums

Old 09-05-2003, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the tips so far guys.

I don't know if the differential is limited slip or open.

I also forgot to mention if I were to be towing. I sold my boat a few years back and I don't plan on getting another one soon. The only thing that I may get is a very light trailer. As for now, this truck does not have a towing package.

Thanks again for the tips so far. I can use some more if you think of em. Again, I'm a first time truck buyer and also a first time truck driver.

Tom

Old 09-05-2003, 01:00 PM
Just an FYI, a good trans cooler is always a good investment. Should add some longevity to your transmission.

Old 09-06-2003, 02:00 AM

The factory tow package is a non starter.

The "upgraded" cooling package is nothing to write home about.

You can do a better trans cooler with the one Mike Troyer has, it is a stacked plate design, with its own thermostat, and electric fan.

Class III hitch you can get a draw tight for ~ 100 to 120 depending on where you shop at.

The trailer plugs, any autoparts store would have the Hoppy kits for the 4 pin and 7 pin plugs.

All in all, the factory tow package should not be a deal breaker.

Good luck with the search.

Remember the old phrase, the 2 happiest days in a boat owners life: the day he buys the boat, and the day he sells the boat

Old 09-06-2003, 10:12 PM
not much snow down here on the mississippi gulf coast, but i love my 97 f150 sc 4x4 w/ the 4.6; however, i would love to have had the 5.4L. the 4x4 is geared to handle anything thrown at it. i pull a 23' chirs craft sea hawk, from time to time, and the truck handles very well. i also tow a 21 foot camper, through the hills of port gibson, vickburg, and starkville, and it is not a problem. i have the off road package and the towing package. i drag the camper at 70 to 75 mph with no problem. the ride of the truck is somewhat less desirable. make no mistake, ford should have put a smoother riding suspension in these trucks. it is a rough rider. for hard core off roaders, i'm sure it is suberb, but i mostly use it for hunting and mud. the suspension is very rough. overall, i love my truck. the rough ride is my only complaint, but the 4x4 is a must for me. i don't think you'll go wrong with either choice, but if i could do it over again, i would go for the extra power of the 5.4L. the 4.6L carries it own, but you'll eventually seek more power.

Old 09-06-2003, 11:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I prefer a 4x2. It may leave me dissapointed 3 days a year, but I'm happy the other 362 days. I too put 240-400 pounds in the back. I used tube sand. I had four bags. I would start early winter with 3 bags, and throw in the forth bag after it started to snow. If it was a deep snow I had a fifth bag that I could use. As spring neared I would remove a bag until they all were back in the barn.

With weight the truck goes through snow better than a car because of clearance. Without weight traction is bad. Mine was leased, and it snowed the day I returned it to the dealer without weight and it was a long shakey ride.

The 4x2 is the right size for me to get into and out of. Gas milage is better and more stable in winter.

I do get more comments on my 4x4 than I got on my 4x2. The 4x4 is just more noticeable because it looks bigger. I have had more people say that my 2 year old 4x4 is a nice looking truck than I had people say that about the 4x2 when it was 2 weeks old.

According to my youngest son, of all the cars and trucks I've had the only one he misses is the 4x2 Scab with the 5 speed.

Look at the axle code on the door. I don't remember detail, but if it starts with a one as in 18 or 19 it is a regual axle, not LS. Post the code here and someone can look it up and get the ratio for you.

Old 09-07-2003, 11:25 AM

Well I did it. I bought the 4x2 yesterday. Thanks to everyone that responded here. I think the one thing that sold me on the 4x2 was the ride. I just loved the ride of my Marquis. This truck has a ride very close to it. Both the exterior and interior look near new so it is a NEW truck to me.

In the next day or two(when I have more time) I will look up that number that you suggested. Today I am looking for a keyless entry plus security system for it. My wife is buying me floor mats today too. I wish I could post a pic of it but I dont have a web site. Maybe this will work,,,,,,, Hey cool,,, it worked but it is a quick snap shot of it. Just don't blink. It is a blue 150 plus top.

http://www.taukemotors.com/inventory...75&brand=Dodge

Last edited by tpotter240; 09-07-2003 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:19 PM

If you browser did the same thing as mine and forwarded to the home page after flashing the picture :

Don't know how long this picture will be on their web site, now that it is sold.
tpotter240,
Nice color blue, matches my 99 ZX-9R

If you want you can also register to post a gallery here.
This is the URL, use your same screen name, and make some albums.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries/new.cfm

Good luck with your new truck.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 09-07-2003 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice truck. remember to save a copy of that picture to you disk. If you want the best ride possible and need new rubber soon get some Michelin Cross Terrains.

Form maintenance items do a search here for cleaning MAF, fuel filter change, and zaino.

Quick Reply: 2x4 or 4x4?