4X4 lowrange light

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 4X4 lowrange light

I own a F150 4X4 SC XL with a manual shift transfer case. When I shift to 4X4 high range, the 4X4 low range light will illuminate on the dash. and will stay on when I shift back to 2 wheel drive. I just had the Vehicle Speed Sensor and the 2 gears on the VSS replaced also. Any Ideas???

Last edited by BeeJay; 09-18-2003 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:53 AM
Does this happen when you are moving or stationary? Also, even though the light stays on does the t-case switch between 2wd, 4wd-H, and 4wd-L? If the T-case does shift though the ranges and the light stays on it could be one of many simple fixes, let me know so I can let you know how to fix it.

Old 10-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Jas97F150

It happens when I'm stationary and I'm pretty sure it happens when I'm moving also. It stays on for a while after I shift the transfer case back to 2wd. The transfer case still shifts as normal through 2wd, 4wd high, & 4wd low.

Thanks

BJ

Old 10-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Well, make sure the clutch is in sometimes this will make the shift easier for the transfer case don't ask me why but it works on mine. Also if you have recently added gear and a VSS, check all electrical connections some of contacts on the tranny are very small and bend very easily and if they bent the may be grounding out which is causing your delay in shifting. Also do forget to check all fluids, if you need to know your quanities go to your local parts store or ask me, I visit this site every other weekend regularly and sometimes more often.

Old 10-18-2003, 05:03 PM
I've found the problem with this light and it involves another post that I posted here earlier about my intermittent wipers not working. The whole problem is due to the 4x4 indicator switch (lock-out switch) not working. What caused this is water entering the transfer case through the vent hose coming out of the transfer case. The water causes the switch to faulter. When this switch faulters the intermittent wipers will not work. They will work though when you shift into 4x4. What I've got to do now is to flush the transfer case to get all the water/condensation out. Also I've got to do something with the vent hose. If any one has any suggestions on what to do with this let me know please.
JMC, you should have dealt with this problem before, from looking at the picture attached to your signature.

BJ...

Quick Reply: 4X4 lowrange light