Helwig rear anti-sway bar review.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Helwig rear anti-sway bar review.

Just installed a new Helwig rear anti-sway bar. Gotta say, I was not overly impressed with the installation of the kit. Here are may thoughts.

The torsion bar itself appeared to be used, with a coat of glossy black spray paint on it. When I picked up the bar, it apparently had tar all over it, like it was used. Is this normal?

Some of the nuts had little rectangles stamped in them, which I later figured out means they are locking nuts. The instructions do not tell you this nor do they tell you where to use the locking nuts. You must use a regular nut on the bolt that attaches the upper part of the "L" bracket because the bolt is welded to a backing plate, but the kit does not come with a traditional lock washer. Thankfully I had a couple lying around. You can't use a locking nut because you can't get a wrench on the bolt.

I found that I had to rotate the u-bolt and bracket up slightly to get the bar to clear the differential and speed sensor. This is not mentioned in the instructions. Now my setup does not match the pictures. This is probably not a big deal.

The instructions outline the torque specs for various sized nuts but they do not tell you the size of the nuts and bolts that are provided. I think they are 1/2" and 7/16" but I'm not sure.

I drove the truck around today and it appears to work fairly well. A lot of the sway is now gone and the truck corners better. I will put the final torque on the nuts tonight after I figure out how to get a torque wrench on them.

Last edited by mtucker; 09-18-2003 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, it does look kind of like a junk yard part. Josh had his stripped and powder coated prior to install.

If you look at the projects from the main page, there is an atrile posted on the install, which mentions the slight roatation of the U bolts on the rear axle, and the brake like "re-forming".

When you rotate tires or change your oil ( which ever frequency you feel good with ) check them. The driver's side loosened on min after about 10,000 miles, and was causing a squeeking, due to it sliding.

Oddly enough, the rear antisway from the L is about 50.00 more then the Helwig, there are a few posts listing the parts needed.

*** in all, for the cost, it was a great handling mod in my mind.

Good luck, enjoy your new mod of the month.

Old 09-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Yeah, not that I'm inclinded to look at instructions, they were a little hazy. I had the most problem with clearance of the brake fluid juction block on the rear axle. I usually just tighten things up until they strip, then back them off a quarter turn lol! But I do like this mod. I like taking the corners a little faster than others and not having the body roll.

Old 09-22-2003, 07:23 AM
Oh good! I wasn't the only one who had these questions about the bar in mind.

I thought the instructions were woefully lacking. I figured out more on my own than what they had printed.

As with everyone else I hope that rotating the clamps a little to clear the pumpkin is OK. Right now the bar clears by about an inch. After a few more miles I'm going to slide under there and see if it has hit at all.

Good product, lousy instructions.

Quick Reply: Helwig rear anti-sway bar review.