Recommendations? - LS/Locker and gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations? - LS/Locker and gears

I need lower ratio gears and a locking or limited slip carrier for the F150. I use the truck for towing a large boat and sometimes a car. The LS/Locker is needed for occasional trips in snow/ice and slippery boat ramps.

Any recommendatons on the brand & type of LS/Locker and nice strong gears?

Scott D

Last edited by Scott D; 10-01-2003 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:54 PM
Not sure what kind of rear you have. I think you have an 8.8, I have a 9.75 rear and 8.8 in front but I think the V-6s have an 8.8 in the rear. That is good for you because everyone makes stuff for the 8.8 unlike the 9.75.

It is hard to beat the factory trac-lock for the purposes you describe. Be care in the snow/ice. With both tires spinning the rear end of the truck will want to walk out on you.

Other options would be an automatic mechanical locker such as lok-rite or a manual locker like an Auburn. The advantages of the auto mech locker is you will not have to reset your tolerances for the ring/pinion gears because it simply replaces you existing spider gears, disadvantage is it clicks around corners and fully engages when ever you step on the gas, so you have to learn a new way to make turns if you dont want to wear out your tires in a hurry. The manual Auburn locker is controled by you as to when it is locked or not but you have to install the whole carrier into the rear end and it is expensive.

Possibly your best option would be to find a used good condition L/S rear from a bone yard and install that in your truck. Much less hassle than any of the other options and maybe a little cheaper in the long run.

Old 10-02-2003, 09:21 PM
SSR
If you are changing a gear anyway then you will need to have it professionaly installed unless you have the tools. (pinion depth gauge, etc.) If you are paying to have a gear installed it probably wouldn't be any extra or very little extra to have a new differential installed along with a gear. As mentioned already the stock traction lock is a great choice. The nice thing about the stock is if/when it ever wears out you can replace the clutches inside it and it will work like new. I used a stock traction lock in my mustang up until a year or so ago (switched to a spool) and it worked great, even launching on slicks.

Last edited by SSR; 10-02-2003 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the scoop! The trac-lok sounds like a good option.

I'd not considered the axle swap option but it is interesting. I do have an 8.8. I'll look around to see if I can find a factory setup with 3.73 gears.

Scott D.

Quick Reply: Recommendations? - LS/Locker and gears