does anyone actually have a non stock front diff?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone actually have a non stock front diff?

I am looking for anyone with a 97+ F150 that has a non stock front diff in it. Currently I have the gears sitting out ready to go (back end was done a year ago), but I want impressions from soneone who actually put an aftermarket diff up front to see what the truck is going to be like.

I searched, and a bunch of guys have talked about it, but I didn't see where anyone had actually done it.

Input appreciated.

Old 10-20-2003, 08:18 PM
Well, I have also heard of a few guys wanting to change them out, although I have never heard of someone breaking theirs. Most of the guys I have heard talking about it have wanted to go with a straight axle for better articulation during rock climbing. I think that would be the only possible reason to swap as these seem to be pretty strong front ends.

Old 10-21-2003, 02:11 AM
I want a locker up front, Powertrax or something similar. The installation costs are expensive for gears, especially up front, so I figure I should do it all while I am in there.

Old 10-23-2003, 04:14 PM
So do I understand you right:

You have a 4x4, with 4.10 in the rear-end and 3.55 in the front end? I don't imagine the 4x4 function works to well.

On the other side, how do you like the Auborn? How does it behave on dry asphalt?

How do you like the 4.10's? Do you tow with them?

I ask because they are both mods I am considering.

Old 10-23-2003, 06:51 PM
I don't put the truck in 4wd since the front and rear are different. The 4wd selector switch is unhooked.

The auburn is great. No issues on dry pavement as long as you use the correct lube and additive. The pinion shaft came out of my stock rear diff and ended its life early (thank you Ford!). Tha auburn replacement was no more than just buying a new ford diff to put back in the car. Offroad, it works great, there are a few hills that I needed 3wd on before that I can now take in 2wd.

You do have to be careful about stomping on the gas in the rain, it will swap ends on you.

Quick Reply: does anyone actually have a non stock front diff?