Questions on changing out my 3:55's to 4:10's..

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 04:07 PM
Law
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on changing out my 3:55's to 4:10's..

Hi all...
I've got a 94 F150 4x2 flareside shortbed w/5.8LTR and the 450D trannywith 3:55 gears. It has a 6" lift with 32x11.5x15" tires w/10"rims.

I recently purchased a 27' 6040lb travel trailer (8 mo ago) and have pulled it 3 times. The first trip, I blew the tranny seals. Fixed it and pulled it a 2nd time with no "apparent" prob's. The third trip, we blew the torque converter.
My truck has a stock auxillary tranny cooler, and we use a weight distribution hitch. My tow/weight limits are all in check. (almost max/ but not quite)

My questions are of swapping out the 3:55's as with my larger tires, they have been reduced to what I figure out to be about 3:23's or so.
1. Will changing to 4:10's be a very beneficial mod?
2. Does anyone know what the prices are for a professional swap?
3. Will 4:10's be enough, or should I go for 4:33's(?)?
4. Will thise gear change help keep the tranny temps cooler?
5. Where's the best place to buy a set of gears? Any particulair brands that are known for quality over another?

I plan to also ad a Tranny temp guage and a larger aftermarket auxillary tranny cooler....

Think that will do it? ie:enable me to pull my trailer w/o killing my truck?

Thanks a bunch...

Last edited by Law; 11-30-2003 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the 32's, you'll be fine with 4.10's. I paid right at $1600 for all parts and install for my 4x4 (Yukon gears). The first thing you'll notice is MUCH better acceleration from a standstill.

The transmission mods in line sound good. You may want to consider looking into a larger transmission pan with cooling fins as well; it'll only aid in giving you more fluid to flow, and more cooling on top of what the new unit will give you. Also, you may want to look into a Factory Tech valve body. It'll firm up your shifts bigtime, and reduce the convertor slippage between shifts. And more gauges is always good.

Best of luck
-Flea

Old 12-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Law
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks man... Question. Would the B&M line of shift kits be as good as a factory Tech valve body?

Do I need to go to Ford to have that Factory Tech Valve body installed? Is that how I order that service? Just call and tell them I need a Factory Tech Valve Body installed on my truck?

I think i'll throw on a larger pan as well.. I saw some nice ones on Summits website...

Thanks man....

Quick Reply: Questions on changing out my 3:55's to 4:10's..