Anyone know how much to convert to posi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JR I posted teh answer below in response to your earlier question. Maybe I wasn't clear. The Powertrax acts like a Locker when you are on the gas. It acts like an Open rear when going around turns, at least until you get on the gas again. So I guess you could call it a Posi but different. In a 2WD open rear the difference will be night and day.
-tom

lowriderf150
It is more like a locker that allows you to go around turns. Limited slip is like it says: one tire gets power and the other gets 'limited' power. It is limited by the amount of clamping force the clutches can provide.
The Powertrax unit mechanically locks the axles so that both tires get full power. The unit does allow the outside tire to overrun in a turn, BUT if you give throttle in the turn the unit will try to lock again and the inside tire will bark a little bit. Turning in the messy stuff the rear WILL come around or step out, depending on the right foot, as the case may be.
You can't get better power distribution than 50-50 which is what the Powertrax provides.
-tom

Old 01-05-2004, 12:01 AM
if u want more grip from the stock trac lock put in an extra clutch on each side from what ive heard from friends the power trax isnt any fun for normal street driving because it gives u 50-50 and tends to want to go in a straight line whereas in a limited slit u get an 80-20 more power to the outside wheel

Old 01-05-2004, 06:04 PM
currie enterprises makes alot of stuff for the 8.8's also, the prices seem decent too.

Old 01-19-2004, 06:46 PM
YEEEHAAAAAAAHOOOOOOO!!!!! I have limited slip!!
Im sooooo freeeekin happy, I drove my truck in this last snow storm and discovered I at least have limited slip! It was snowing and I drove over to a patch of snow that was untouched and gassed it, well I left 2 nice big trenches, spun BOTH wheels!!!.
I cant believe I didnt realize this until now, I feel like such a dumbass but according to my door sticker I had the stock 373 gear open diff rear end that came standard with my NASCAR edition, I guess the original owner had the rear end done! It doesnt lock up like the auburn in my mustang but hell im just happy to have something to get me through the winter.
(sorry for the long post)
Dan

Quick Reply: Anyone know how much to convert to posi?