axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
axle replacement

My wife ran over road debris causing rapid depressurization of the left front tire on a snow covered road and spun out going sideways over a curb. She cracked both the alloy wheels on the drivers side of the truck and also bent the rear axle. How do the axles in the 2003 F150's come out? I know some have clips in the differential and some have bolts that hold the axle bearings and axle in the housing. Do the bearings come out with the axle or stay in the housing? Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

Old 12-08-2003, 02:48 PM
Insurance doesn't cover this?

Which engine do you have?

Old 12-08-2003, 02:53 PM
axle replacement

Well insurance may cover the damage minus the $500 deductible and then the next time my policy comes up for renewal I'll be looking for a new company since insurance companies here in NJ drop you like a hot potato for the least little excuse. I figured I can get a used axle and 2 new wheels and a tire for less than that and not worry about getting dropped! I've pulled plenty of axles in my time just none recently and surely not on my almost new pickup truck. In response to your question, it has the 5.4 liter engine.

Old 12-08-2003, 03:05 PM
The 5.4L comes with a 9.75" rear differential. I've done this on an 8.8", but not the 9.75" I think the procedure is the same though.

The axles are held in by C-Clips. You'll want to make sure they give you the correct axle too. One is slightly longer than the other.

I could give you directions, but you're better of buying either a Haynes manual or a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com so you have photos. It's really not that complicated. Just be careful, use jack stands and remove the spare tire so you'll have more room.

Because the axles are coming out, you should replace the seals on each one. You may also want to check eBay for wheels.

Old 12-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Re: axle replacement

Originally posted by Heritage
Well insurance may cover the damage minus the $500 deductible and then the next time my policy comes up for renewal I'll be looking for a new company since insurance companies here in NJ drop you like a hot potato for the least little excuse. I figured I can get a used axle and 2 new wheels and a tire for less than that and not worry about getting dropped! I've pulled plenty of axles in my time just none recently and surely not on my almost new pickup truck. In response to your question, it has the 5.4 liter engine.
I have some rims from my 2001 Supercrew. All 4 rims are listed on e-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2446888403

You can click the link, or copy and paste it into your browser. I have had no hits on them, so if you want to watch them and they don't sell, e-mail me at cobra@sc.rr.com, and I'll work something out with you.

Old 12-09-2003, 03:34 AM
the axles are held in by c-clips in the diff housing good idea to change axle seals while you have them out and free up and inspect parking brake parts. you will also need the rtv silicone for making the diff gasket and all that expensive syn. gear lube 3.75 quarts in the 9.75 i think and friction modifier for the limited slip if you have one.

oh yea and the axle bearings stay in the axle housing when you pull axle shaft out. I even use the axle shaft to pop out the axle seal just be carefull not to dislodge the axle bearing.

Old 12-09-2003, 09:45 AM
axle replacement

Thanks all for passing along your knowledge and advise! I kind of figured the axles were held in by "C" clips and you all confirmed that. Thanks also to the fellow who offered up those beautiful chrome Lariat wheels but my truck is the Heritage Edition which has specific wheels that go with that trim package. I was able to find correct new replacements online direct from:

http://www.fordgenuineaccessory.com/

How can I tell if I have the limited slip diff?

Trending Topics

Old 12-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Re: axle replacement

Originally posted by Heritage
Thanks all for passing along your knowledge and advise! I kind of figured the axles were held in by "C" clips and you all confirmed that. Thanks also to the fellow who offered up those beautiful chrome Lariat wheels but my truck is the Heritage Edition which has specific wheels that go with that trim package. I was able to find correct new replacements online direct from:

http://www.fordgenuineaccessory.com/

How can I tell if I have the limited slip diff?
Look at your door jam sticker, then go here...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/2003/9.php

Old 12-09-2003, 05:30 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you do it yourself take a close look at the bearings. If you hit the curb hard enough to bend an axle you could have toasted the bearings too. You will also need a new pinion shaft lock bolt. If you can't get a new one coat the threads with treadlock or a like product. What about the front end? Any damage?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 12-09-2003, 11:52 PM
axle replacemet

I jacked up the back of the truck so both rear tires were off the ground, removed the driver's side tire and wheel and had the wife put it in drive and let it idle. The bearings were not making any sort of noise at all but the axle flange was definitely wobbling somewhat. No fluid leak out of the axle seal either so I think that maybe I lucked out at leat as far as the bearings go. Since her mishap I have driven the truck and it does not pull although I did notice that the steering wheel is not straight across like it used to be so I think that maybe the front end was tweaked a little too. I am planning on having the alignment checked when I get the new tires and wheels put on. Thanks again to everyone for your input!

Quick Reply: axle replacement