Wierd differential leak???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 09:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wierd differential leak???

OK, got a wierd one here...My rear end is pumping gear oil up the vent tube and out the top and it's running all the way back down and making a mess. I know it's blowing out the tube because there's gear oil up in the body where the vent tube comes out at. Other weird part is it doesn't do it all the time. Just took a 900 mile road trip and not a drop. (cleaned it off before we went) Got home and drove 50 miles to work and back and it was leaking so bad it was dripping in the driveway. What's the &%$@ is up with this? Nothing has changed. No damage, no water in the oil, not submerged in water, nothing. I have a Mag-Hytec cover and 5 Qt's of Amsoil 75W140 but that is over a year old and this just started a month ago. The only thing I can even remotely come up with is it just got cold here but that doesn't seem logical. Any help???

Old 12-20-2003, 11:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have a Mag-Hytec and use 5 quarts of 75w140 Amsoil. I have had the same thing happen to me. I think I have had the diff cover a couple of months now. Jerry at Mag-Hytec said he has had reports of the Amsoil coming out the vent tube and thinks it is a foaming issue.

I was thinking that maybe I was driving on an angle and the drivers side axle is filling up with differential fluid till it covers the vent tube in the axle. Any expansion of gas or fluid would cause the fluid to run out of the vent tube then.

Thats my theory and Im stickin to it... LOL

Quick Reply: Wierd differential leak???