snapped axle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snapped axle?

i have a 97 f-150 lariat with 7 inch lift and 36inch swampers,i got in the other night and put it into drive and there was nothing ,wasn't going anywhere i could hear some clunking noise from the rear end so i put it into neutral and there was nothing again,i had to put it into 4 low to get home,taking a guess-did i snap a rear axle or did i blow the gears,how hard is it to do both ,li live in a townhouse and want to drive it to my friends shop ,would this be ok in 4 low or should i not drive it since that might cause more damage,thanks for the help ,much appriciated

Old 12-29-2003, 12:21 PM
Re: snapped axle?

Originally posted by BlueCoupe
i have a 97 f-150 lariat with 7 inch lift and 36inch swampers,i got in the other night and put it into drive and there was nothing ,wasn't going anywhere i could hear some clunking noise from the rear end so i put it into neutral and there was nothing again,i had to put it into 4 low to get home,taking a guess-did i snap a rear axle or did i blow the gears,how hard is it to do both ,li live in a townhouse and want to drive it to my friends shop ,would this be ok in 4 low or should i not drive it since that might cause more damage,thanks for the help ,much appriciated
1st, sorry to hear about your problem, Second, I have no idea what it could be. Third, if your going to take it to a friends shop, definitly have it towed, or flat bedded. If it were my truck i would not drive it.

Old 12-30-2003, 12:56 AM
is the rear drive shaft still connected? if not this is a simple fix in your drive way. you can also pull the rear diff cuver and inspect inside for dammage. dont drive it and cause more dammage though. post a reply of what you find

Old 12-31-2003, 03:35 AM
DO NOT drive it and when/if you get it towed, you must get it flat bedded or you will damage some thing else. Owner's manual says to always have it towed via flat bed and not that other type with the just the front end in the air.

Quick Reply: snapped axle?