limited slip differential performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question limited slip differential performance

I have 55K on my 2001 F150 2wd sc 5.4v8 now and have had no mechanical problems. This has been a good truck other than the very uncomfortable seats that I spent $500 redoing after a break in trip to Arizona. (The break in was my back and butt, not the truck.) My question is about the limited slip differential. I have used this truck in the snow and ice with studded snow tires and have not noticed any advantage over my previous Ford f250 2wd which did not have limited slip. Is there any practical way that I could check its function myself and confirm that it is working properly?
Thanks for any help!

Old 01-12-2004, 09:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

What is your rear axle code on your door sticker?

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/2003/9.php

Have you added friction modifier to your differential.

I assume you bought the truck new and have not changed differential fluid.

A slight application of the emergency brake helps sometimes.

Do you "gun it" or accelerate gently when you are slipping?

Do you floor the truck a lot when you drive spinning the rear wheels?

Last edited by temp1; 01-12-2004 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Raise one wheel slightly off the ground, put in gear and let it creep forward, if it doesn't go anywhere and the wheel in the air spins, then the LS isn't working, if it flys off the jack, volia. it works.

Old 01-13-2004, 09:15 PM

Be sure to jack it up outside somewhere with lots of space so you can run after the truck if it flys off the jack and you have your door open and you fall out.

Oh, lets say... the south 40.

Old 01-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Question

Thanks guys,
I bought the truck new and have done nothing to the rear differential. I try to ease the truck about when I am on ice so don't generally gun it. I have about 300 lbs of sand over the rear axle when I am driving in the snow and also have a snuglid which adds more weight. I'll have to wait until I get home to check my door sticker. But the factory invoice does list limited slip 3.55. Of course my tow package was supposed to come with a heavy duty radiator too and I had to fight Ford to get it!

Old 01-30-2004, 08:21 PM

I read where a light application of the parking brake can sometimes help engage the limited slip...

Old 01-31-2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by temp1
I read where a light application of the parking brake can sometimes help engage the limited slip...
Yea it works great, I got myself out of the snow that
way last week. The minute I pressed the parking brake in (not all the way), gave it a little gas, it kicked in both wheels, got traction and pulled right out of a bunch of snow and ice on an incline.

Trending Topics

Old 02-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's actually the reccommended method of using it to get yourself un-stuck. (using the e-brake)

From the 2000 service manual:

Traction-Lok® Differential Operation Check

A Traction-Lok® differential can be checked for correct operation without removing it from the rear axle housing (4010).

WARNING:
A vehicle equipped with a Traction-Lok® differential will always have both wheels driving. If only one wheel is raised off the floor and the rear axle is driven by the engine, the wheel on the floor could drive the vehicle off the stand or jack. Be sure both rear wheels are off the floor.

Raise and remove only one rear wheel. Install the special tool on the wheel bolts.

Use a torque wrench with the capacity of at least 271 Nm (200 lb/ft) to rotate the axle shaft. Be sure that the transmission is in NEUTRAL, and that one rear wheel is on the floor while the other rear wheel is raised off the floor. The breakaway torque required to start rotation must be at least 27 Nm (20 lb/ft). The initial breakaway torque may be higher than the continuous turning torque.

The axle shaft must turn with even pressure throughout the check without slipping or binding. If the torque reading is less than specified, check the differential case. For additional information, refer to «Section 205-02A» or «Section 205-02B».

Traction-Lok® Differential Check Road Test

1. Place one wheel on a dry surface and the other wheel on ice, mud or snow.

2. Gradually open the throttle to obtain maximum traction prior to break away. The ability to move the vehicle demonstrates correct operation of a Traction-Lok® rear axle assembly (4006).

3. When starting with one wheel on an excessively slippery surface, a slight application of the parking brake may be necessary to help energize the Traction-Lok® feature of the differential. Release the brake when traction is established. Use light throttle on starting to provide maximum traction.

4. If, with unequal traction, both wheels slip, the limited slip rear axle has done all it can possibly do.

5. In extreme cases of differences in traction, the wheel with the least traction may spin after the Traction-Lok® has transferred as much torque as possible to the non-slipping wheel.

-Joe

Old 02-02-2004, 09:32 AM

Thanks Joe,

I need to get one of those service manuals. Can the general public buy em?

If so, how much do they cost?

Quick Reply: limited slip differential performance