Newly installed 4:56 gears and a few questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Law
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newly installed 4:56 gears and a few questions..

Hey all--
I just had a set of 4:56 gears installed into my 94 f150 4x2. I had 3:55's, but had a 6" lift and a set of 32" tires installed. I also tow a 6000lb RV on occasion, and was experiencing some tranny issues.

Anyway, the 4:56 gear change didnt really do what I thought it would... Not much of a performance gain really...
So, i'm wondering, are there any certain things that could make a newly installed set of gears not perform the way they should? There are no apparent problems.ie: no whining or clanging..

Could the back lash be to much? If so, would their be any symptoms? Or is the whining sound a back lash symptom?

Would a shift kit help organize the power flow better?

Would an engine that maybe needed a tune-up still see the benefits of a gear change, or could a weak spark from possibly old plugs drag things down enough to make the gear change not seem right?
Thanks...

Old 01-12-2004, 10:43 PM
If it is a auto tranny, get your shift points changed, and speedo fixed then see what it is like. If this was not done at the time of the gear change it could REALLY down the performance.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:47 PM
Thats how they feel, I thing you were looking for 5.18's. 4.56's won't break your neck no matter what you heard.

Quick Reply: Newly installed 4:56 gears and a few questions..