A question on manual locking hubs.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question on manual locking hubs.

Last year I replaced the auto locking hubs with the manual superwinch hubs. The truck has the pushbutton electroninc transfer case button. When I had my autolocking hubs and the need for 4X4 use was no longer needed I just pushed the button on the dash to unlock the hubs. Now with the manual hubs is there a need to manually unlock the hubs. I am thinking that disengaging the transfer case would unlock the hubs. Would I be doing any harm in driving for say 10 miles to my destination befor manually unlocking the hubs? I know to not use 4X4 when it is not needed so i like to unlock as much as possible. If anyone may some advice it would be appreciated.

Ricky.T

Old 01-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Disengaging the Tcase has no effect at all on the hubs. Its what it sounds like.........MANUAL hubs. You need to get out and lock and unlock them when you need them and when you're done. What happens when you engage your tcase you're putting power to the driveshaft which will spin the front diff and axle shafts. If the hubs are unlocked the power doesn't get to the ground because the hubs are no locked onto the axle shaft. When you lock the hubs they lock onto the splined sections of the axle shaft letting the power go to the wheels. If you disengage the tcase but leave the hubs locked then you're not powering the tcase, but you're still turning the axle shafts and the front diff, as well as the driveshaft. They're not under power, but they're still turning. Now it is NEVER good to run 4x4 without the hubs locked in. You will cause premature damage and wear to the hubs and the axle shafts. It is ok though to run in 4x2 with the hubs locked. It is still turning everything so it will wear faster, but its not going to cause any imediate damage. Its best to unlock them when you're done. You'll get a little bit more power and fuel economy because you don't have all the extra drag of trying to turn all the equipment up front. If you're driving to work and you think theres a good chance of needing 4x4 then lock the hubs and drive in 4x2 and just put it into 4x4 when you need it so you don't have to stop to get out and lock them in.

Old 01-25-2004, 04:44 PM
thanks for the information.

I was being cautious when coming out of 4WD and getting out of the truck and unlocking the hubs. I wasnt sure if I really had to do that or not. It will give me peace of mind that i am not causing any undue strain or hardship on the drive system by just disengaging the the transfer case and not the hubs. I appreciate it.

Ricky.T

Quick Reply: A question on manual locking hubs.