shutter

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 12:12 PM
cjc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shutter

Hi everyone, I have a shutter when i accelerate, it starts at about 10 mph and contimues through 20 mph then goes away. Can anyone tell me if this is bad u-joints or a transmission problem. I changed the tranny fluid and fliter, but no luck. The truck is a 2000 4x4 with 54,000 miles.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Does it happen under hard acceleration, light acceleration, both?

Could be lots of things

If only under hard acceleration, very possibly a band or clutch in the transmission slipping until the engine speed gets up, or it could be a weak pressure pump in the tranny.

Otherwise, it is probably a U-Joint, but could also be a bent rim or out-of-balance or out-of-round tire.

Larry

Old 01-27-2004, 12:28 PM
cjc
Thanks for the reply: It seems that the rate of acceleration has no effect on the shudder, hard or soft still shudders. What does seems to make it worse is if i'm turning. There are time from a striaght start that I get no shudder at all.

Old 02-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Shuttering on my 2001 Lariat is believed to be the limited slip plates in the rear end. Several threads about this on this site. It has been recommended by many to put "friction enhancer" in the rear end.

Shuttering on my truck occurs after the differential warms up. Cold weather it has not done it.

Quick Reply: shutter