Transfer Case Skid Plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 11:32 AM
AWH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer Case Skid Plate

I am planning on finally changing the transfer case fluid in my 97 "off road" package F150 this weekend...it appears the skid plate that runs the width of the vehicle and bolts onto the frame will need to be removed in order to drain the transfer case. Can I get around removing the skid plate or is it worth it (i.e. less messy) to pull the plate before draining the transfer case? Also, the plug takes a 1/4 inch socket, right? THANKS.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure how the factory skid plates are routed so I can't help you there too much. The plugs are 3/8 drive, not 1/4. Make sure you've got a fluid transfer pump on hand to get the new fluid in. There is no space to hold a quart of oil up there. Also on mine it was easier to get to one of the plugs with my long extension (10").

Old 02-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just did mine a few weeks ago and I would definitely take off the skid plate, it's only a few bolts and makes the job much easier. If you get one of those plastic funnels with a long plastic hose on one end and a lid on the top of the funnel, available at most auto parts stores, you won't need a transfer pump. You will just have to fill it up a funnel full at a time.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:23 AM
Or you could buy a fluid transfer pump at Napa like I did for $2 and not have to mess with the funnel and have the job go 3x as fast and alot cleaner.

Old 02-05-2004, 12:23 PM
AWH
Thanks guys...pulling the plate is not that big of a deal I just wondered if someone had worked out a way to avoid doing it...I do have a fluid transfer pump and I have to agree with Powerstroke73, the funnel and hose method is only recommendable if you can't get a pump. (it once took me over an hour to fill up the manual transmission on my girlfriend's Toyota)
Rkjerue did you get, you get about 2 quarts in your transer case? As always, thanks for the advice guys.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AWH,

I got about 2 quarts in, my manual says add 2 quarts or until the fluid reaches the filler hole.

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Skid Plate