Confused on gears

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confused on gears

Just bought my first Ford. It is a 2000 F150 supercab 4x4 5.4L with body lift and 315/75/r16 BFG's. I dont think the gears were changed, because the truck feels a little sluggish. Is there any way to tell if the gears have been changed from stock? Also, can anyone translate all the foreign numbers on the door sticker to me so I can see what the original gears are or were. Thanks, its good to be a part of the Ford crowd now!

Old 02-14-2004, 01:19 AM
Well there are a couple ways that you can see what gears you have. You can either pull the diff cover and on the side of the ring gear it should be stamped how many teeth on the ring/pinion. Then divide them to get the ratio. The other way is to jack up the rear axle by the pumpkin (make sure you have the front wheels blocked so the truck can't roll). Then mark the driveshaft and one wheel. Turn the driveshaft a few rotations and see how many rotations the wheel makes. This will show you what ratio you have. I would recommend to save your tranny that you regear to 4.56 as soon as you can. I ran the setup you have now and its cost me 1 tranny and I'm hoping not a 2nd one.

Old 02-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the help. Is there any way to tell what the original gears were by looking on the sticker on the door?

Old 02-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Welcome ! Look on the sticker and get the axle code. Post it here or search the code table here (it's posted commonly). Secondarily, there is a metal tag under one of the rear end cover bolts that has the "actual" ratio. On the second of 2 lines it will have the ratio on the left side. An example would be: line 2 starting out 3L55; meaning 3.55 limited slip. The first digit is often hard to read or covered with grease. On a 5.4 with a 9.75" axle having different gears, you can remove the rear cover and view the ring and pinion teeth clearly. Then, like PS said, you can divide the ring gear tooth count by the pinion tooth count.

Last edited by max mitchell; 02-14-2004 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Confused on gears