stock vs upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock vs upgrades

I have a question about which is faster. My stock 97 f150 4.6 3.55 gears automatic. or The same truck with a 3" body lift 35" tires,4.56 gears,hytech chip,air intake system,throttle body spacer. Please feel free to express all options. Thanks

Old 03-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bigtimepf,

I regards to your question, "faster" is relative to what you definition of "faster" is. Do you mean faster in the quarter mile, on a slalom coarse, towing a trailer, over mud, sand, rocks and ruff terrain? I would say at best, with 35"s' all those performance improvements would get you back to your stock performance.

Old 03-04-2004, 08:48 PM
I wanted to know about the 1/4 mile, which one would be faster?

Old 03-04-2004, 11:08 PM
The smart money would be on the modified truck. With 35s and 4.56 gears he's running basically the same ratio as stock so they won't be limited too bad on top speed. Then factor in the chip and intake and he's making more hp and torque than you. Also factor in that the chip has probably tweaked the tranny shift points and duration so he's gonna be faster on the shift than you which will give him yet another advantage. The TB spacer doesn't do jack. Its more of a paperweight than anything. The only disadvantage he's got is that he's pushing more air than you will be, but with the engine mods he's got that will more than make up for that. You can run against him but I would say that 9 times out of 10 he'll win.

Didn't you make this EXACT post about a couple weeks ago? I seem to remember replying to a post worded identical to this and I thought your user name sounded familiar when I clicked on the thread.

Old 03-05-2004, 12:20 AM
No this is the first post i made with this ? Thanks for the input

Quick Reply: stock vs upgrades