ok 4:10s no what

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok 4:10s no what

Ok i have decided to get 4:10 gears, i have a v6 4x2 5spd and i want that extra acceleration. I hope im sure in saying it has a 8.8 rear end and the gears don't need to be rev cut

Besides the gears, a gasket for the rear diff, and some fluid what else is needed, i'm havin a shop do it for me, but he said make sure you have everything.

Old 03-04-2004, 10:18 PM
You should replace all the bearings while you're in there.

Ian

Old 03-04-2004, 11:12 PM
You have either an 8.8 or 9.75 rear axle and gears won't swap between the 2 so make sure you have the right axle. The gears are standard not reverse cut. Don't waste time or money on a diff cover seal. Use RTV it works better IMO and its what Ford uses from the factory. If its a competant shop they should have this on hand (I used blue when I did my cover but any good oil resistant kind will work). Aside from that stuff you'll need the synthetic gear oil 75W140 and friction modifier (if you have a LS or locker that requires it). Then for the bearings you'll want to buy a master install kit to go with the gears. What I would do is call randysringandpinion.com and tell them what you're doing and they should tell you what all you're going to need. They USUALLY are very knowledgable, but recently I've heard some pretty stupid things come from them.

Old 03-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by powerstroke73
You have either an 8.8 or 9.75 rear axle and gears won't swap between the 2 so make sure you have the right axle. The gears are standard not reverse cut. Don't waste time or money on a diff cover seal. Use RTV it works better IMO and its what Ford uses from the factory. If its a competant shop they should have this on hand (I used blue when I did my cover but any good oil resistant kind will work). Aside from that stuff you'll need the synthetic gear oil 75W140 and friction modifier (if you have a LS or locker that requires it). Then for the bearings you'll want to buy a master install kit to go with the gears. What I would do is call randysringandpinion.com and tell them what you're doing and they should tell you what all you're going to need. They USUALLY are very knowledgable, but recently I've heard some pretty stupid things come from them.
How much would it cost for something like this done?

Old 03-05-2004, 02:25 AM
The cost of gears, install kit, and install typically runs about $600/axle for a ballpark figure. The biggest variability depends on the amount of labor. Some people can find great deals on it and others get bent over. Usually install ends up costing as much as the parts do.

Old 03-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by powerstroke73
The cost of gears, install kit, and install typically runs about $600/axle for a ballpark figure. The biggest variability depends on the amount of labor. Some people can find great deals on it and others get bent over. Usually install ends up costing as much as the parts do.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: ok 4:10s no what