Anybody swapped ring & pinion themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody swapped ring & pinion themselves?

Hi,
I'm getting ready to go from 3.55 to 3.73 (I know, I know, min. difference) but I just went from 265-70-17 to 285-790-17s and want to get as close to the original gearing as possible. With the new tires, I actually need 3.77's I think but the 3.73's are close enough for me. I've done about everything EXCEPT swap ring and pinion sets before.

Anybody have good stories to tell??? I'm looking at ordering from DriveTrain Superstores... anyone dealt with them? Really would just like to know of any problems I may encounter... any special tools I'll need.

Thanks!
Levi

Old 03-03-2004, 09:26 AM
Yes I did mine. I have an 8.8" in my truck and you probably have a 9.75" I used Ford parts because they are designed to work with the original "Master Housing Dimension". If you are not sure of the term, keep researching because I found out that few people, including gear installers, knew what it meant. I don't know if the 9.75 is designed the same way. It is a very enjoyable job, which takes about 6 hours. If you don't learn the whole procedure up front and follow it, you are going to have a disaster. I have 100,000 kms. on mine since the change and it is still as quiet as the day it was done. I went from 3.08 to 3.55 and there was a very noticeable difference. Post again if you have any other questions. You may get a lot of negative feedback about doing it yourself, but if you understand the procedure and why it must be followed you will probably do a good job of it.
Good Luck, GlennMc.

Old 03-03-2004, 10:02 AM
I'm going to be tinkering around in my differential here soon and I found a great resource. Just last night I picked up a copy of Richmond Gear's Ring and Pinion Installation video for $18 bucks. Although I haven't watched it in its entirety, I skipped through it and it has great stuff! Look it up on the web and order it up. It's geard toward Richmond Gears but that's no biggie. It covers a wide variety of applications.

Read the last few comments on my previous post called, "This can't be Right" and you'll find the advise/info I received form the board on this type of thing.

Old 03-03-2004, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate the info.

Levi

Old 03-03-2004, 08:29 PM
I went from 3.08 to 3.73 Still running after 20,000mi. Has a hum at 40 mph but have been told that is common with precision gears. Do a bit of searching on this site and you'll get alot of info. and references to other sites for gear changes. special tools you'll need are minimal, 2 torque wrenches., dial indicator, I think that most gears and install kits will come with instructions. Good luck

Quick Reply: Anybody swapped ring & pinion themselves?