Recall # 03S02 Steering Shaft Yoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 08:00 PM
AWH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recall # 03S02 Steering Shaft Yoke

Anybody get this recall in the mail recently? I bought my 1997 F-150 in August...recall #03S02 Steering Shaft Yoke.
I made an appointment at my local service department for Thursday. Any guesses for how long the dealer should have it? Seems like an easy repair/switch...Thanks.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:11 PM
AWH
I just searched it and found this thread, sounds like an old issue: Ford to Recall 185,000 Trucks

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co. (F.N) said on Friday it would recall 185,000 pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles to inspect a steering part that might have been improperly installed and could lead to a loss of control.

Ford said the action covered 1997 model year F-150 and F-250 pickups, as well as Ford Expedition SUVs. It said it has three reports of accidents with two reports of minor injuries relating to the problem.

The automaker said an intermediate steering shaft yoke may have been improperly installed. It expects that less than 1 percent of the vehicles will actually have a problem and need to be repaired.

Ford will begin sending letters to customers next week with instructions on when to take their vehicles to dealerships. Customers will not be charged for the repairs.

Old 04-21-2004, 03:00 AM
this is what they will check for:

Inspect the intermediate shaft yoke at the connection to the steering gear input shaft to determine if the yoke is fully seated on the input shaft. If the yoke is not fully seated, the steering shaft and attaching bolts must be replaced. Ford anticipates that very few vehicles will exhibit this concern. When replacing a steering shaft, you will need to call the Special Service Support Center for approval and the defective shaft must be sent to the Warranty Parts Return Center. If inspection determines that the intermediate shaft yoke is fully seated to the steering gear input shaft, then no service is required. NOTE: The repair of any other steering or suspension components, due to normal wear, is not covered under this program

so this means if its on all the way your in and out. if they have to call and order parts it might take alittle longer.

get it checked just to be safe.

Old 04-22-2004, 07:25 PM
AWH
It looks ok to me

Thanks Mr. Bentwrench. The dealership service was backed up...I just visually inspected the yoke connection in my driveway and it was fully seated. I guess I'll have the pro's look at it on Monday too.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:36 AM
most likely is but its a good thing to get it checked. thats one part you dont want to fail when your rollin down the road.

Quick Reply: Recall # 03S02 Steering Shaft Yoke