How to change a u joint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to change a u joint?

Can anyone help me??? Every other question i had some one was able to help! I am getting a nasty squeal from what i think is the u joint(s)? How do i replace them? any pictures would be awesome!!! Thanks a milliion guys!

Sean

Old 05-04-2004, 07:17 PM
Generally speaking

They are not to bad, but there are many configurations. There are drive shafts and axles. I did my axles this weekend on my 4x4 and by far the worst part was getting them off the truck. I had major rust on the spindles but that is another story.

Some are pressed into the yokes, if yours are, then take them to a shop and have them pressed out. I did take mine in to a shop, and was able to pound in the new ones after cleaning up the yoke. There are also C clips inside each nub that need to be removed, so If you take it to a shop they will take care of that for you.

On a hardness skill of 1 to 10, I think it is between 7 (a good home mechanic) to 9 (you will need major professional help), depending on the condition of your U-J's. Some special equipment may be necessary. Mine was a 8 due to the age of the truck 178K miles on the joints.

Old 05-04-2004, 08:38 PM
The U-Joints were the first repair I did on my truck. What a pain in the Rear. Nonetheless, I always recommend doing everything you can yourself and this is certainly something that can be done yourself.

Old 05-06-2004, 10:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

You might like this one but it looks like someone has the luxury of having the u-joint out of the vehicle and on a bench.

I think the beer is used to wash off your hands when done.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/otherwrit...t/ujoint-1.htm

Last edited by temp1; 05-06-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:39 PM
When I did mine, I had the U-joint out of the vehicle but I didn't have a workbench. I had a sledge and the crub next to the truck. Oh, and I had Budweiser. I don't see why you would replace a U-joint without removing it from the vehicle unless you were on trail.

Old 05-06-2004, 11:14 PM
U-joint replace while shaft on vehicle !

I sure would like to know how to change a press fit U-joint on my bronco II while the axle is still in the truck. I left the one coming out of the front diff that has a little slop, because I didn't want to remove the diff to release the stubby shaft to take it out and have it removed. I can live with the slop for now, I may ask the shop if they can remove it in place when I get some time. Hope you guys are using cheap beer for the hand wash. My MGD is too good for that.

Old 05-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally posted by UrbanCowboy
When I did mine, I had the U-joint out of the vehicle but I didn't have a workbench. I had a sledge and the crub next to the truck. Oh, and I had Budweiser. I don't see why you would replace a U-joint without removing it from the vehicle unless you were on trail.
Im here to "PUMP YOU UP"! Now I see the little girly men that wan't to pull the drive shafts and work on em in their girly shops. You have to change the U-joint while holding the drive shaft with one foot and holding a beer in one hand and changing the U-joint with the other hand. If you can't then your just a little girly man!

http://snlyou.jt.org/archives/00xsch...er/fritz.phtml

Im kidding just so I don't offend you...

Last edited by temp1; 05-07-2004 at 12:39 AM.

Quick Reply: How to change a u joint?