Pinion Seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pinion Seal

Hi,
This is a great web-site.Everytime you ask for information about something ya'll always reply with help.
Today as I was changeing my oil in my 1992 F150 1/2 ton, two wheel drive. I saw what looked like,was where some oil had leaked around the front of my rear end. And the oil looked like it ran down around the bottom of the rear end.
For about a month I have been hearing a funny noise from the rear end .Sort of sounded like I was dragging some wire.But I looked all over and couldn't find anything.
Now seeing the oil around the rear end.I think it's the Pinion
Seal? What should a job like this cost at the ford house?
And do ya'll think, this sounds like a pinion seal leak?

Thanks

Old 08-08-2004, 11:18 AM
I had a pinion failure - the seal was blown because the bearing was blown , too. Whole thing ran me $750 on the Saturday before Easter (I was traveling) and I felt very lucky to get it all done in one day.

Frankly, I think the blown seal might be the opportunity you need to get a new bearing in there, as well. I would not waste time just replacing the seal.

Hope you have better luck-

Old 08-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Just replaced the pinion seal on my 97. It went after 240,000 miles. I had the gear oil mess all over the differentail, but no noise.

The seal is about 12 bucks, and you will need a socket, or other suitable device to use as a driver when installing it. The trick is measuring the pinion rotational resistance, before and after the seal is replaced. If its too lose you'll have too much lash...to tight...lets not go there, but its not very difficult. Any Chilton (or other) service manual explains the details.

If you have noises form the rear end it may be too late for the bearings, thus requiring more than just a seal.

Good Luck,

Old 08-09-2004, 06:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're getting strange noises from the rear axle, it really needs to be torn down and inspected before anything else. Figure probably about 4-6 hours labor to tear down, inspect, and repair anything on the way out, not counting parts.

Old 08-17-2004, 12:19 AM
It certainly sounds like a pinion seal. The cost depends on what else they may find wrong. Mine broke when I drove over a truck tiretread that flew at me on the highway. The differential service alone can run as high as $200 due to the synthetic oil in the differential. Plus other parts. In my case I ended up replacing a u-joint and one of the driveshaft flanges had a very deep groove cut in it.

Quick Reply: Pinion Seal