Mud guards clearance question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mud guards clearance question

Hi,

I am debating as to whether to get molded splash guards or not. I don't go off-road to the extent that you FX boys do but I do plan to get to my deer that way this season! I worry that the Ford doesn't have that much ground clearance to begin with and that I will merely tear them up or worse going over a log or something! Thoughts? Should I get the flap/flexible type, the molded, or none at all? You off road honchos-please advise!

Thank you so much in advance!

Steve

Old 09-15-2004, 12:45 PM
I think it really depends on how long the flapps are. If they are solid and extend to say, mid tire I think you'll be ok. But if they are longer like mine that extend down about 3/4 tire, go with a flexible.

Additionally it depends on what type of suspension you have. I have a '97 4x4 Offroad stock suspension, so it sits higher than a 2 wheel drive. Not sure what you have.

Last edited by Dad's Hoss; 09-15-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:09 PM
I have the Ford molded guards and would never go with the flexible style. In fact I would prefer no guard at all to the flexible kind. The molded guards stand up much better to mud and snow/ice. I've seen flexible guards bend under the weight of mud & snow/ice then get pulled up by the tire and torn off.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Recurve- Here is a link to the mud flapps I have:

http://www.jandjenterprise.com/mudflaps.html

I would not recommend getting the "anti-sale" brackets as mine bent the first time I did some engaging offroading. But the mud flapps look great, and aren't some 1/8" flimsy piece of rubber. They are nice and thick and the inner part that faces the tires are grooved so water and other debris roll right off. They are also fairly stiff and will not sway with high speeds, yet are flexible for off roading. I really like mine and have received many compliments. They really sett the rear of my black truck off nicely.

Quick Reply: Mud guards clearance question